Does a devise like this exist

Bobert1850

Joined Apr 29, 2018
I'm looking for something that will take 12-24v input and vary the output between 0-120v. Like a variable transformer? And if it don't exist, is it possible? It would make my life so much easier.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
current levels?

Its unlikely to find something like that though.. Doable.. unlikely to commonly found anywhere..
I wonder what the application/use is?

Bobert1850

Joined Apr 29, 2018
It is mostly for remote operation. I was looking into a power inverter but I can not find one that is single feed out. Plus it don' make sense to me to go from dc to a.c. and back to dc. The motor controllr I have now uses 110 a.c. input and 0-110vdc output

Bobert1850

Joined Apr 29, 2018
In reality I'm not too concerned about battry life. I have seen electric bicycles with equivalent wattage motors that have a 20+ mile range. If I can get 1/4 of that power, i would be happy. I could use their controllr but they are made SO cheaply, there has to be better out there

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
2 kW seems like a lot to ask of a beefed-up boost converter circuit. I think there is a transformer in your future.

High power / high density DC/DC converters are good for around 500 W per brick. Some have a wide output voltage adjustment range (but I don't recall any that regulate down to 0 V). Some can be paralleled. Some can be stacked up, such as two 48 V output bricks with inputs in parallel and the outputs in series to give 96 V. You need all three features, which will take some digging.

Vicor, SynQor, Astec/Tyco/Artesyn/whatever

You might have to go with a fixed-output boost stage of whatever technology, followed by a synchronous buck regulator for the variable output to the load. The very-wide output voltage range almost certainly means a very wide output current range, and that will make the magnetics a ... challenge.

ak

Bobert1850

Joined Apr 29, 2018
Really? A bicycle with a 2000 W motor? I've seen 1000 W, but not 2000.

ak
I said comparable, and by that I meant close. To be honest I have not seen over 1500w but even then, they still have a fair range. With li-ion batteries, I don' think I'll have much of a problem. I'm very rusty when it comes to all this and I never learned much to begin with. I really want to keep this project cost down by salvaging most of the parts. I got the motors for free from treadmills and I figured it couldn't be that hard to run off of a car battery. I have seen people build gokarts from starters and Ik that would require atleast 4hp. I'm only trying for just under 3

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I have seen people build gokarts from starters a
Yeah, but there is a big difference between running a 12 V motor on a 12 V battery, and running a 110 V motor on a 12 V battery. Bringing in the whole system for under $1 per watt will be difficult unless there are some super-cheap ebay modules that just happen to fit this application.

ak

Bobert1850

Joined Apr 29, 2018
But I can buy a 3000w inverter for a few hundred and run it off that. I' just trying to save a step and avoid having to convert to a.c. and then back.