Does a 1MOhm Resistor Provide any ESD Protection?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Welcome RicESD to AAC.

This is an old thread, just over a year old. They haven't been active since March of 2021. By now the person who asked the original question has either gotten their answer or has simply abandoned the thread. Nevertheless, welcome to AAC.

RicESD

Joined Mar 16, 2022
Thank you very much Tonir1084. I am glad to be with you at AAC! I know this was an old thread but I think this was an interesting question and may be, it will be helpful for someone... ESD is an important subject, very often underestimated.
Best Regards! Richard.

That's a really gnarly ESD built-up if it can arc across a 1/4W resistor. :eek:
1/4W through-hole resistors have limits rated around 250V, but it's OK if they arc across the ends to discharge static. In low humidity it's easy to make say 10kV walking around or sliding in/out of a desk chair. My USB mouse crashes just from the E-field (no spark/discharge) and me 1-2ft away sitting in the chair.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
In low humidity it's easy to make say 10kV walking around or sliding in/out of a desk chair. My USB mouse crashes just from the E-field (no spark/discharge) and me 1-2ft away sitting in the chair.
Using a field meter I've seen in excess over 50KVS. I used to run a few demonstrations on ESD, back in the 90's. One part of the show was two guys wearing sweats and sneakers. A carpet, two plastic lawn chairs and two brass rods. Both guys would sit down and using their brass rods they'd strike ground to discharge any static they may have built up. Then guy A would stand and the two would move their rods close together and you could see and hear the spark. Then guy A would sit down and guy B would stand and repeat with the rods. BANG! And quite a flash of light too. However, when higher ups heard of it they stopped me saying OSHA would never approve of me shocking employees. After that it was the neon bulb demonstration. I even had a relaxation oscillator going. When you put your finger NEAR the bulb the flash rate would dramatically increase. This was indicative of the presence of an electric field - a.k.a "Static".

If you want to build an at home static demonstration - the relaxation oscillator circuit is the way to go. Since the neon bulb needs a minimum field voltage to ignite and conduct moving a static charged item near the bulb raised the field voltage. The closer you got the faster it flashed - up to a limit. Beyond that - to get the neon bulb to stay lit constantly you just need a free handed neon bulb, no electrical power whatsoever. One lead tied to ground and the other - well, you just touch it and static would begin to flow. Depending on how conductive YOU were the bulb would stay lit briefly or for a longer period of time. And if you were constantly shuffling your feet you could keep the bulb lit. We've done it. Not speaking out of a neon arse.