do you like what you are doing

Biff383

Joined Jun 6, 2012
Has anyone here had their company come out and say that you workers get a 1.2% bonus. And we really thank you.........

However management has their best bonus ever?

Just wondering.

I don't get butt hurt over much....

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Has anyone here had their company come out and say that you workers get a 1.2% bonus. And we really thank you.........

However management has their best bonus ever?

Just wondering.

I don't get butt hurt over much....
Well I suppose it's better than nothing. :(
I guess if you make 50,000 and get 500 and management makes 100,000 and gets 2,000, maybe okay.
On the surface it seems like an insult.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Yep several times. One of my first was back around 2000 when I was working as a copier and office machine repair tech.
The local business I worked for picked up a ~$250,000 contract with the local air base of which the parent copier corporation was picking up 100% of the bill.
We just got picked to handle the account because we were the only local dealer for that particular brand of machines. Basically free money.

I got handed the primary responsibility for the airbase contract which doubled my workload and got a 13 cent raise for it. :(

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
No I can't say that I have since the companies I've worked for have never told us the machines what the operators bonuses is.

Edit: But we get the gist of it in the news when it comes to bankers...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have never had any bonus. Should I be complaining more?
When I was awarded 5 cents per hour for a yearly raise and still no "bonus", I quit that job.:rolleyes:

Seriously! I went from, "What's an op-amp?" to Engineering Assistant in 14 months and they awarded me 5 cents an hour.:mad: I told 'em to reach back in the barrel and pull out another minimum wage Engineering Assistant.:D

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
TS said:
do I like what I am doing?
Absolutely. In the Summer, I mow, shoot ground hogs and squirrels. Eat well every night. In the Winter, I substitute posting on AAC for shooting groundhogs and squirrels. Don't mow much either, but plowing snow provides the intellectual stimulus.

John

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Isn't this a Scott Adams quote? Sounds like him paraphrasing or direct quoting an older colleague.
I first heard it from a colleague in the late 60's or early 70's. I think it was just an apocryphal piece of doggerel that has been floating around since the invention of the transistor. I wouldn't have a clue on attribution.

These appear to be authoritative references to original works.
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php...room_management_mushroom_theory_of_management
ca. 1969-1971

Last edited:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I've received many bonuses over the years, some of them quite handsome in the five hundred to thousand dollar range. Most of the bonuses were "profit sharing." Now I'm an independent contractor, no bonuses, no paid time off, no 401k plan, no sick time.

Last edited:

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I retired from my job in an electronic support shop for a large transit agency In California.

I really liked the work, but the management was absolutely "Anal". They expected problems to be fixed in a jiffy, but they would not provide the $$$ to support their desired objectives and my shop was budgeted down rather than up to a standard.

To add more misery, the transit industry relies on federal funding for capital improvements such as transit vehicles, but the funding cannot be used for operation and maintenance. Consequently, my agency would buy a lot of expensive stuff that they could not afford to properly maintain.

Biff383

Joined Jun 6, 2012
Thus was the response I was looking to see.
I'm just complaining about something that I can do nothing about.
When I started here i got a 2% bonus for showing up every day, then I got another 2% for making them money. Now I get crap from 50 people . I suppose that I can move on.........but Im old.
Who wants a guy without a collage degree that doesn't kill himself working with 480 three phase .
I'll take the cashbut I worry about the kid I teach, is he going to stick around long enough for me to teach him how not to die.