diy power supply

boomhauer

Joined Jul 16, 2020
hello all, i am wondering if someone who might know better than i (and that would be just about anyone) would mind telling me if maybe they see some sort of problem with this or a danger. i have a bunch of stuff lying around and have started to re-purpose as much as i can the last couple of years so i thought i would throw together a quick benchtop somewhat portable power supply. i am thinking of using an xbox 360 brick rated at 12v, 14.2 amps, and 175w output for the supply. thinking i would run the + and - into a terminal block and daisy chain 5 or 6 connections down the rail leaving the last for the constant 5v that is also present on the power brick. on the output side i figured i would use several of the lm2596 dc to dc step down buck converters for each of the different voltage connections ie., 12v, 9v, 5v, 3.3v, a couple of usb connections and a variable connection. does anyone see a problem with this of a serious nature? i know next to nothing about circuitry and only slightly more about electricity. i know enough to have a very healthy respect for what it can do as it nearly got me once and since then i have only fooled with it on a very have to basis.

i have a lot of stuff around that i am sure could be used to build a better supply but being as how this seemed kind of easy this way coupled with the lack of knowledge in this area i figured this might be the way to go

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Yes it can be done, your brick PSU will have a dual output 12V and 5V , the 5v is at 1Amp. You can use the LM2596 pcbs to drop down for the 9 and 3.3V .

boomhauer

Joined Jul 16, 2020
Yes it can be done, your brick PSU will have a dual output 12V and 5V , the 5v is at 1Amp. You can use the LM2596 pcbs to drop down for the 9 and 3.3V

thanks for the quick reply and since i saw no mention of danger i assume all is good. correct me if i am wrong but since they will all be sharing same ground, the outputs will not be isolated correct? i am thinking i may need to step up the 12v to say 30v and somehow isolate the outputs so that i can use the 12v fixed and 12 variable to get a -12v. is that also correct?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You don't need to isolate them , unless you want to create a - V then use a DC/DC converter which can be bought with isolated outputs.