DIY LED Lamp with mains dimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgeman

Joined Feb 13, 2020
Hi all,

I would like to put together an led lamp that can be dimmed with a normal household dimmer switch. I have seen lots of circuit diagrams to show how to add a dimmer into an LED circuit but i can't find anything out there to explain how it can be done based on the supply voltage.

I'm guessing this must be possible because you can buy dimmer compatible LED bulbs at the shops...

Can anybody help?
My practical abilities far outweigh my electronics knowledge i'm afraid!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

1. How to you propose to power this LED lamp?
  2. AC or DC?
  3. What voltage?
  4. How much current will the LEDs draw?
I'm guessing this must be possible because you can buy dimmer compatible LED bulbs at the shops...
Those are typically powered by AC and non-isolated AC mains circuits are prohibited from this site.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You should be afraid. Working with LEDs directly to the mains is so dangerous that the User Agreement for this forum prohibits discussion of the topic.

• Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
    • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Any kind of jammers (ie - Phone jammers)
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies
  • If You come across a thread or post discussing any of the above topics please report the thread so We can close, and if necessary remove, the offending thread/posts.

This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.