DIY isolation transformer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by BarryTron, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:18 PM.

1. BarryTron

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 18, 2018
    I have been toying with an idea of building an isolation transformer. I have a UPS battery backup and a Microwave that friends are willing to sacrifice for my project. The idea was to take the transformer out of the existing appliance instead of buying one.

What are your thoughts about building an isolation transformer? What other options do I have besides a microwave and battery backup? I have been looking for other affordable options but it looks like most DIY flocks use a transformer from a microwave.

2. MrAl

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi,

Well it depends how you intend to wind the transformer. If you plan to wind one winding on top of the other then maybe it would work, but if you just want to wind the secondary where the old secondary was then there may be too much leakage inductance. Leakage inductance means that you dont just get a transformer out of it, you get a transformer with an inductor in series with one of the windings. How big that inductance turns out to be with the given steel and winding arrangement will determine how bad it gets when you turn something on or off and how much voltage drop (regulation) you get.