Different log in procedure

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You've changed the log in page. I used to type: moniker tab password tab enter. I could do it with a macro. Now I have to mouse to all three fields.:(

If that's important for security, fine. If it isn't, I'd like to have my convenience back.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I used to do the same for loging in.
Now I give my username, tab, tab, and password then enter.

Bertus

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I figured it out. Just double the "tab"s.
moniker tab tab pw tab tab enter

and as a matter of security, I make my computer as stupid as possible.
It doesn't have my passwords or any cookies, the instant I close the browser.
It doesn't suggest anything, it doesn't auto-complete anything, it doesn't know where I've been or where I'm going.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
and as a matter of security, I make my computer as stupid as possible.
It doesn't have my passwords or any cookies, the instant I close the browser.
Does somebody else use your computer that you don't trust, or are you just paranoid? :eek:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Does somebody else use your computer that you don't trust, or are you just paranoid? :eek:
Just paranoid, I guess.
I'm sure my activities can be tracked, and if our government doesn't track me it's only because I'm not important enough to waste resources on, BUT when you consider how many terabytes per day they collect, it wouldn't surprise me to find I am in there somewhere. Sales sites would love to check my cookies, but I don't have any when I go looking for a purchase, and when I do, I use a credit card with a $300 limit. Yahoo, Google, and a few others are famous for building databases, complete with facial recognition, so I don't Google, Yahoo, Linkin, IM, Facebook, or Skype and I don't have a camera or a microphone connected. From the outside, my computer looks awfully plain. Windows plus Open Office, a virus program, a CD burner program, a PDF reader, and an encryption program. Everything that isn't on C: is encrypted. I have my electronics partition open a lot when I'm on AAC, but most of my content is encrypted most of the time.

The only thing that would worry me is a keylogger because I log in to my bank and pay my bills once a month. I could drive to the bank and use their computers if I was really paranoid, but banks get hacked too!

In general, every wire or pipe that connects to my house is a monthly bill to pay and everything on my computer can be known with enough skill and resources. I just don't make it easy to do.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Do you want me to set up a cookie filter so only AAC remains and all the others get deleted? It's easier to just log in.
Most browsers allow you to whitelist/blacklist sites that can store cookies on your machine.

I have a small handful of whitelisted sites (AAC being one of them) and a list that, last time I checked, had thousands of blacklisted sites. My browser is configured to prompt me anytime a site tries to store a cookie on my machine. I always choose "Always Block" and that adds them to the blacklist.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You've changed the log in page. I used to type: moniker tab password tab enter. I could do it with a macro. Now I have to mouse to all three fields.:(

If that's important for security, fine. If it isn't, I'd like to have my convenience back.
I doubt it's much of a security feature since screen scapers are good at just reading the field descriptions and generating the response strings.

It's more likely poor design. The order in which fields are tabbed to is, by default, the order in which they were added to the form. This is often simply accepted instead of spending some time thinking about what order SHOULD the fields be tabbed in. Most well-designed sites allow for username-tab-password-enter (no need for the tab to the submit button).

Joined Nov 30, 2010
AAC just logged me out:eek:, fortunately not at the moment I clicked on, "Post".:)
I was merely changing pages.
That never happened before!
But suddenly, all 4 of my AAC tabs went to the log-in page.:confused:
Reporting to Mods as a possible glitch.
Maybe a local thunder storm deleted my cookies?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
There can be a number of causes for it. I've had it happen a few times to me. Usually it's when I've had to delete my cookies to get something else to work (which really pisses me off -- I shouldn't have to delete my cookies for every site I allow to store them just because the cookies for BobsWidgets.com are causing problems). So those I can explain. But I've had a few times when this site or that site behaves as though only its cookies are gone while everything else still behaves.

Cookies are just a data snippet that a website saves on your machine and can access later. Sometimes they include an expiration tag so that if the site hasn't refreshed the cookie in a certain amount of time, they are ignored, though I don't think the AAC cookies expire. Other times the site's cookie manager changes the format of the cookie and the old cookies aren't recognized anymore. Sometimes a configuration change tells the cookie manager to ignore all prior cookies and issue new ones. I don't think either of these two happened here otherwise a lot of people would be experiencing the same thing, although it might be browser-specific. It's also possible that your cookie file got corrupted -- that local thunderstorm, perhaps? It also possible that some seemingly unrelated update purged some or all of your cookies. If it had happened last Tuesday or Wednesday that would have been more likely, since that was Microsoft Tuesday (assuming you're on a Windows machine). That same thing could have happened with Linux or Mac on their update schedule, of course.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There can be a number of causes for it.
You didn't need to do all that detail, except maybe for education of the general population. When I bitch, you Mods do whatever you do and I don't question it.;) That's your job and I will not put your teat in the wringer.:cool: