Determining plug and socket sizes for DC power in

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Gdrumm, Oct 22, 2014.

  1. Gdrumm

    Thread Starter Distinguished Member

    Aug 29, 2008
    I have a bunch of these connectors that I've salvaged from things over the years, and I occassionally have problems getting the right pin or barrel size.

    Is there a commercially available kit (for cheap), that will help a habbiest determine which goes with which?

    Attached is a Wiki phot of barrels for a variable voltage, pin size AC Adaptor.

  2. antonv


    Nov 27, 2012
    Although there are many different sizes you should be able to measure their internal and external diameters (in mm) and correlate that with the sizes that are available from vendors. That is how they are specified, see the attached image.
  3. wayneh


    Sep 9, 2010
    I've seen those multi-adapters that look like an octopus. If the various pins are labelled, it could be handy to identify the mating connector.

    But I just use a micrometer to measure the barrel. ID, OD, length, and center pin diameter if there is one.
  4. ScottWang


    Aug 23, 2012
    I was used three types 1,2,6 counting from left side.
    I was used the product as wayneh said, that was very convenient for testing some stuff.
    I also planing to make a multi-function plug including the usb and micro-usb, Alligator clip, etc...
  5. MaxHeadRoom


    Jul 18, 2013
  6. Gdrumm

    Thread Starter Distinguished Member

    Aug 29, 2008
    Good feedback, and link.

    I haven't been able to find a commercially available cheat sheet device, so I guess I'll just cotinue trial and error.

  7. KeepItSimpleStupid

    Well-Known Member

    Mar 4, 2014
    I know, it's a PITA.

    Those are called adaptaplugs and should have letters on them. See: for dimensions.

    If you have to work with that end, a drill bit set and a micrometer works.

    A lot of the connectors seems to be 5.5/2.1 or 5.5/2.5, so it's best to try the /2.1 first.

    AT least now, you have a table of the sizes of the connectors.

    I actually label with a P-touch labeler, the wire end with voltage and polarity of the various wall warts I have. On the wall wart itself, I label the device it goes to.
    It may say 12 VDC C+ | 5.5/2.1 I do the same on the device.

    I made up a box using an ebay step-down switching regulator with an I and V meter, with a 5.5/2.1 and 5.5/2.5 input (polarity has to be switched at the terminal strip) to an adaptaplug out, so I can, in a pinch, make a lot of DC adapter I need until I can get a replacement. Usually a 12V adapter. I'm still using my "temporary" adapter on a Slingbox. It needed 6V DC.

    These are not the traditional Adpataplugs. You can sometimes find them with a 5.5/2.5 input.
    Gdrumm likes this.