Delorean project

Rissy

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hey there, I'm working on designing a circuit which I wish to incorporate into my DeLorean.

I only need help with one aspect of this circuit. The conversion of a pulsed ON-OFF-ON-OFF (12V) signal into a constant ON signal (12V) whilst the ON-OFF-ON-OFF (12V) is continuing to happen, and then a constant OFF.

I found this solution on the web:

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram22.html

BUT, you can see that it requires a lot of capacitance there to hold on the 12V during the OFF part of the cycle. I was wondering if I could do the same thing with either a transistor or a SPST on IC in place of the automotive relay and therefore hopefully reduce the necessity for such a huge amount of capacitance. Can anyone give me a design, or help me put together one?

I was thinking something along the lines of this:

Attachments

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Your circuit has a serious flaw; the output is grounded:(

Even if the emitter of the NPN is ungrounded, it will not do what you need.

I'll post something in a few min...

Rissy

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Thank you. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I've been advised by a friend that I could probably use a 555 timer IC to do what I want to do, but he's not willing or able to give me more information than that. I'm currently hunting for an appropriate 555 timer project on the web which will fulfill my needs lol! (It's easy to find something to do the opposite of what i'm trying to do! It's obviously easier to destroy a constant signal than create one from a broken signal! lol!)

Rissy

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I realise there is a short to earth there. I only put together this drawing very quickly in order to convey my intention better (a picture speaks a thousand words as they say) If i had put the yellow output on the other side of the transistor (emitter side) then the IC which I have on the other end of that yellow wire would simply be permanently live, which is not what i want. But thank you for your input. No one else needs to point out my ground short now. lol.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I had to guess at the pulse timing, but some variant of this will work. Follow the voltages on the plot and see what node they match in the schematic.

Note how the PFET is connected, source on top. It will switch several Amps.

147.gif

Need better definition of pulse freq and pulse duration, and how long you want it to hang on after the last pulse... That will affect R4 and C1.

Rissy

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Okay, So now i need to expose my lack appreciation of this circuit now. lol!

The triangles. Those are? Down to earth?

what is that "HAT1072H"?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The triangles. Those are? Down to earth?
Yes, tie all of those together, and then to the car chassis. (Assuming a neg ground car).

what is that "HAT1072H"?
A modern PMOS field-effect power transistor I call a PFET. Any of these in an easier-to-work-with TO220 package would work in this circuit. Depending on how much load current you are switching, you need to bolt it to metal for heat-sinking using an insulating mounting kit.

Rissy

Joined Nov 23, 2015
at "Your Load" will be two 4011 NAND gate IC's, a couple of resistors, an NPN and the final end customer for all the trouble....an LED indicator. BA9S, drawing nothing more than 2-2.5W (if that!) but an incandescent would be about 2-2.5W i think, so if the LED was whipped out and replaced with an incandescent, then i want the circuit to handle this increased load without melting or blowing up.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
So with such a low power draw, is the power transistor still necessary?
You never stated what the load is. I was assuming a load of several amps, like a lamp.

It sure would help us if you put in a country when you register for the web site and put in ALL of your requirements in the first post!

Rissy

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Ah yes. You can really see the difference in the power drain there during the OFF part of the cycle. It drops really low. Can you model this, but show the voltage trace out the far output? (Your Load) for BOTH versions?

Rissy

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I'm sorry Mike. I've just joined, so have not gotten used to the site yet. I'm in the UK. I like dabbling in Electronics from time to time when i have a project goal, but i'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. My lack of detail in my original request is nothing more than innocent ignorance i'm afraid. Please have patience with me. :)

Rissy

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I can't figure out how to reply to individual people's quotes!?

JoeJester
For each side of the car, there will only be one LED/Bulb. So if it goes, then there wont be any others on that part of the circuit to keep flashing/illuminating. So a changing rate should not be a problem.

MikeML
This is looking good. I guess i'm gonna have to buy some components and get testing this bad boy! lol! I REALLY appreciate your help with this people, especially Mike who's gone to all that hard work simulating (i'm wondering how i can do that myself, and maybe even simulate my whole designed circuit in one go!?).

I'll definitely come back and let you all know how i got on with this, and also maybe ask for some more advice on other parts of my design if they don't check out during testing. I'm not sure how long it will take for me to get a test together. I'm gonna have to order components off ebay etc before i'm in a position for testing.