Delayed start up for my air compressor.

Popbang

Joined May 18, 2022
Hey guys.
I’m living off grid at the moment, using an 8kw solar system with battery storage. I have a workshop here and I use a large air compressor almost everyday. It’s usually fine, but sometimes it can trip the inverter on startup.
It’s a 240v Chicago Air Hush 150 compressor, so it has 4 individual 750w motors. Each motor has an individual on/off switch and it’s own breaker, so I can turn one or two motors off if the battery’s are low, but whichever motors are switched on are activated by the one pressure switch simultaneously.

I’m hoping to take a bit of strain off the inverter by delaying the start up of each motor consecutively by a few seconds when the pressure switch is activated.

Can anyone offer advice on an easy way to do this? Delay timers etc?..

Thanks

Attachments

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
A standard electromagnetic relay K0 and three 'on delay' timers K1, K2 & K3 would be required.

1.png

'NO' contacts of K0, K1, K2 & K3 are to be used to start the four motors in sequence.

Alternatively, a 3-channel sequential timer may be used.

Nandu.

Last edited:

Popbang

Joined May 18, 2022
Three 'on delay' timers are to be cascaded as shown.

View attachment 278730

The instantaneous contact of K1 and the timed contacts of K1, K2 & K3 are to be used to start the four motors in sequence.

Alternatively, a 3-channel sequential timer may be used.

Nandu.
Thanks, I figured that would be the way to do it, but could you recommend any ‘on delay’ timers?