Decoupling Capacitors

KansaiRobot

Joined Jan 15, 2010
Hello and thanks always.

I have a very basic question. I would appreciate some help.

Regarding decoupling capacitors,(the ones that go between VCC and ground), so far I have used the PIC18F2550 so I just had one pin for each so I put one.

Now I am using PIC18F45K20 which has two VCC pins and Two Ground pins. Should I put only one capacitor between one pair of those pins , or do I need to put two capacitors?? I am guessing only one but would like to confirm.

Sorry for the basic question .

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The rule of thumb is to put a cap on every power input to every chip. So use at least two, especially if the pins are not next to each other.

Bypass caps are part of the art side of design. True you could calculate out these things, but you are trading 40 hours of engineering time for 2cents worth of parts.

Generally sprinkle bypass caps ecerywhere. If the design ever goes to market you can spend one late night taking caps out one by one till your thing falls apart.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hello and thanks always.

I have a very basic question. I would appreciate some help.

Regarding decoupling capacitors,(the ones that go between VCC and ground), so far I have used the PIC18F2550 so I just had one pin for each so I put one.

Now I am using PIC18F45K20 which has two VCC pins and Two Ground pins. Should I put only one capacitor between one pair of those pins , or do I need to put two capacitors?? I am guessing only one but would like to confirm.

Sorry for the basic question .
I haven't looked at that particular part, but many designs that have multiple power/ground pins have split them out for a reason and you want to bypass them separately -- and that means decoupling a particular power pin to a particular ground pin. Usually the pin pairs are placed obviously close to each other or are named in a paired way. If all else fails, check the documentation.