DC power supply

Stephenmunt

Joined Apr 24, 2023
Hi. I have a 12v 8kw diesel heater. I'd like to conect a mains power supply. My question is what amp unit would be suitable. The heater is fitted with a 20amp fuse.

Would a mains 240v to 12 DC 20amp be OK or I've see alot of youtube videos of people using the 30amp power supply rather than a 20amp.

So advice would be really appreciated.

Ps I'm from the UK

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The heater is fitted with a 20amp fuse.

Would a mains 240v to 12 DC 20amp be OK or I've see alot of youtube videos of people using the 30amp power supply rather than a 20amp.
If something has a 20A fuse, it isn't expected to operate at that current very long. If the 20A power source is good, it should be sufficient.

There are a lot of idiots on YouTube. If you're going to consume that content, you need to know enough to be able to tell the difference between good info and bad.

Ps I'm from the UK
There are about a hundred million people in the US who can't tell what's real and what's fake...

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi. I have a 12v 8kw diesel heater. I'd like to conect a mains power supply. My question is what amp unit would be suitable. The heater is fitted with a 20amp fuse.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this question for me. My brain has blanked out on this one.
What does a 12VDC 20A power supply got to do with a 12V 8kW diesel heater?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
A diesel is an engine, not a heater. Maybe the engine drives an electrical 8kW generator?
Maybe the 12VDC is used for the diesel engine's glow plug, plus some electric lights?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I thought he was talking about a diesel engine block heater, required in my area to start your diesel engine in a cold morning.

8KW sounded a bit high though , and 240W a bit low, hence my confusion.

Last edited: