Dc motor help

mrnadimos

Joined Sep 17, 2017
I need help with my issue
I am running a dc motor in paralel with a small heater ( nicrom wire )
They work fine separately but when in parallel the nicrom wire drain all the current and the motor barely rotate any fix ? Thanks in advance
Ps: the heater is a short circuit so its draining more then 5 amp

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
A motor and a heater both take a high current to start then as the motor comes up to speed its current drops and as the heater warms up its resistance increases and its current drops. When the motor does work then its current rises.

You do not need to isolate them, simply use a battery or power supply that can supply the total amount of current that they need.

mrnadimos

Joined Sep 17, 2017
In plain English: your power supply should be capable of supporting both the heater’s and motor’s currents.
Which during start up may be several times the steady state value
Is there a way to control the power of the nichrome wire for example i can increase and decrease the temperature

mrnadimos

Joined Sep 17, 2017
Do you know what causes the heating in a nichrome wire? Its current. More current produces more heat.
How to you adjust the current?: By increasing or decreasing the voltage, maybe with a light dimmer circuit.
Well i am a noobe in electronics , this dimmer circuit can be controlled with a potentiometer ? Does it handle 5- 10 amps or the components will be fried

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Why are you severely overloading the small battery cells with 10A??
If the battery cells are no-name-brand poor quality then they might produce 1A for half an hour and might explode and catch on fire trying to produce 10A.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Even with higher capacity battery you might want to decrease start current by delaying start of heater until the motor is up to speed.