DC generator, relative motion of coils

TheSpArK505

Joined Sep 25, 2013
Greetings guys,
I'm stuck with understanding how the relative motion of a coil with respect to the magnetic field produce current. Th reference says if the coil moves parallel to the field then induced EMF is zero, while it's maximum when the coil is perpendicular.

My problem is that I cannot understand nor recognize the parallel movement, actually for me I see when the coil is parallel to the field it produces maximum EMF, pleas help.

Reference :"However, if the conductor moves in parallel with the magnetic field in the case of points A and C no lines of flux are cut and no EMF is induced into the conductor, but if the conductor moves at right angles to the magnetic field as in the case of points B and D, the maximum amount of magnetic flux is cut producing the maximum amount of induced EMF.

1584244920152.png

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Jump onto an electron located in the middle of the wire as it goes around.

What force (magnitude and direction) on the electron at Position A? What about at Position C?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Your confusion may stem from the difference between the position of the coil and its movement. In position 'B' the plane of the coil is parallel to the field but the movement is perpendicular.

TheSpArK505

Joined Sep 25, 2013
Your confusion may stem from the difference between the position of the coil and its movement. In position 'B' the plane of the coil is parallel to the field but the movement is perpendicular.
is it like the coil movement is the tangent of the coil's rotation, is the below drawing describes the situation?

1584296306482.png

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
My problem is that I cannot understand nor recognize the parallel movement, actually for me I see when the coil is parallel to the field it produces maximum EMF
But its movement is perpendicular to the field.
It's not the position, it's the movement perpendicular to the field that determines the voltage generated.

Last edited: