Current Transformer Donut

HighVoltage!

Joined Apr 28, 2014
When using a 20:1 CT:

I created a current-loop on the secondary side (step-down side) with a resistive value along with respective voltage. The goal was to create a current-loop on the primary side (through CT opening) with a constant current value. Additionally, on the primary side "loop", I also put a resistor in series which also generated a specific AC voltage across it.

Unfortunately, when I use the resistor on the primary side, in series with primary loop, I get weird current ratios. When I don't use resistor and just short primary loop (Just insulated wire), the ratios make sense.

Why when I use resistor on primary, I get a weird ratio/current?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Post a diagram of what you have.
I don't understand what you are trying to do.
What do you mean "The goal was to create a current-loop on the primary side (through CT opening) with a constant current value."?
And what's the purpose of the added resistor to create a voltage on the primary side?
Current transformers transform current not voltage.

Be careful with your current transformer. A very high voltage can be induced when the secondary loop is open-circuited. That's why a shorting bar is used across the secondary. It is only opened when a measuring device (meter) is connected.