Coronavirus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In holland we have the "coronapas".
It is an app on your phone that can show a dutch or international QR code.
You can get a valid QR code when you have the following:
2 shots of the corona vaccine.
Being cured from corona and have a shot of the corona vaccine within 6 months.
Show a negative PCR test.

Bertus

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
A valid certificate has a serial number which is registered at a central database, along with you personal identifiable information. A public app would instantly determine if any certificate is valid.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://fortune.com/2021/10/26/cold...cination-cases-hospitalization-death-falling/

Even as the weather turns cold and people move indoors, COVID cases across the U.S. are falling
Data collected by the New York Times suggests fears that the onset of frigid temperatures would lead to a fresh wave of COVID-19 cases across the country could be unfounded.

Unlike last year when mid-September marked the beginning of a four-month long period during which cases trended ever higher, the inoculation drive is keeping a lid on flare ups of COVID even though people are starting to flock indoors to escape the cold.

New infections in the U.S. have dropped continuously since the spread of the Delta variant peaked six weeks ago. Over the last two weeks, the nationwide count has fallen by 22% to 70,291 cases on a seven-day rolling average, while those hospitalized has dropped by 19%.
The picture is broadly similar in Canada. The northern U.S. neighbor experienced a 16% decline in new cases to just 3,018 reported daily during the week through Oct. 17.

According to data from the Public Health Agency of Canada, the rate of new COVID cases among the unvaccinated were eight times higher that among those who'd gotten the jab, while the rate of hospitalizations was 25 times higher.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
A valid certificate has a serial number which is registered at a central database, along with you personal identifiable information. A public app would instantly determine if any certificate is valid.
What's a valid certificate?
All I have is a easily forged paperboard reminder card that I put my own name on. No ID was required in this state to be vaccinated so there is no database of who was vaccinated and the current administration has said it will not issue a national vaccine passport requirement.
https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le2390u.pdf
Q4: Do I need to bring identification (ID) with me?
A4: You do not need documentation or specific identification. You will receive proof
you have been vaccinated; do not lose the card you are given.
Q5: Do I need to provide a social security number to schedule a vaccine
appointment?
A5: No. If you are asked for a social security number during the appointment
scheduling process, you do not need to provide one and can leave that question
blank.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/1026/1255839-covid-global/
Covid-19 infections and deaths are on the rise again in Europe, with Russia, Ukraine and Romania registering the highest fatalities on the continent, an AFP tally shows.
Russia will go into a nationwide workplace shutdown in the first week of November, and the capital Moscow will reimpose a partial lockdown from 28 October, with only essential shops like pharmacies and supermarkets allowed to remain open.

Authorities have blamed the rising deaths and infections on slow vaccination rates.

So all bars, restaurants and other places requiring vaccination have the equipment to scan a vaccination certificate and know authenticity? I think not. Here in the US there is a national data base but few places if any access the data base. Having a certificate proves absolutely nothing.

Ron
They download an "app" on a phone that looks at the QR code on each certificate. The app knows what is real or is fake. Then the person at the door checks your name and image on your health card.

I do not know what they do about the women who are completely covered up and the guys who all look the same and have a big beard. The women who are completely covered up also probably have a big beard.

Some bars and restaurants are getting huge fines for not blocking unvaxed people.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
They download an "app" on a phone that looks at the QR code on each certificate. The app knows what is real or is fake. Then the person at the door checks your name and image on your health card.

I do not know what they do about the women who are completely covered up and the guys who all look the same and have a big beard. The women who are completely covered up also probably have a big beard.

Some bars and restaurants are getting huge fines for not blocking unvaxed people.
I can go with that. :)

Ron

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Lions get COVID from handlers?
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/animal-news/covid-outbreak-hits-lions-tigers-national-zoo-n1279479
Nine big cats at the National Zoo in Washington have tested positive for the coronavirus, which causes Covid-19, the Smithsonian Institution said Friday.
So weird to me for some reason why not Wolfs or other creatures at the zoo?

kv

Edit: Ah, this is why.

Scientists have known for over a year that pets can catch coronavirus from humans, and cats appear more susceptible than dogs. Lions and tigers were singled out as particularly at risk of disease in 2020because many are kept captive at unregulated zoos and private residences.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Not a fan of official vaccine passports that look to be effectively useless before the end of the year with vaccine mandates and current case decline trends continuing in the US.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...l-covid-heres-why_uk_6177c17ce4b06573573fee69
Vaccine passports could actually be counterproductive and fuel the spread of coronavirus, leaked government research suggests.
In documents seen by the Telegraph, the government’s impact assessment warns that vaccine passports could be “counterintuitive and potentially counterproductive,” because they will deter people from using larger, more ventilated venues.
The report comes just days after Scotland enforced its vaccine passport scheme, which was soon dubbed an “unmitigated disaster” by members of the hospitality sector.
The problem is not technology, the problem is thinking people are like technology and will just accept rules without behavior modifications to negate the rules.

Here we also accept recent recovery instead of vaccination for most events the require proof of vaccination. There is no state vaccine passport or certificate in Oregon.
https://coronavirus.uoregon.edu/vaccination-university-events
What if I have tested positive for COVID-19 and recovered within the last three months?

Attendees who have tested positive for COVID-19 within 90 days of an event are not required to present a negative test result. A positive test result from no earlier than 90 days and no later than 10 days prior to the event will be accepted for entry.
Looks like the US is starting to include 'recovery' as 'proof' for travel.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html
If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...face-covid-testing-upon-return-us/6173830001/
Travelers who've recently recovered from the coronavirus may bypass testing and "instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/10/waning-immunity-not-all-bad/620436/
It all sounds, quite frankly, like a tragedy. But as Bhattacharya and others assured me, it’s really, really not. “All we hear about is titers,” says Stephanie Langel, an immunologist at Duke University. That fixation “misses an entire nuance.” Antibodies are supposed to peter out; that’s why they always do. Still, even as our antibodies are dwindling in absolute quantity, these scrappy molecules are enhancing their quality, continuing to replace themselves with new versions that keep improving their ability to bring the virus to heel. Months after vaccination, the average antibody found in the blood simply has higher defensive oomph. “That’s why I hate the word waning,” Jennifer Gommerman, an immunologist at the University of Toronto, told me. “Antibody levels are declining, but something good is happening too: The immune response is evolving.

The focus on antibody counts alone actually does a disservice to our understanding of immunity, experts told me. Like a block of wood being hewn into a sharper blade, vaccinated immune systems can hone their skills over time. Part of waning certainly does mean fewer. But it can also mean better.

If all of this is getting a little too Squid Game, consider the much rosier upshot: At the end of this process, our bodies are left with some truly primo antibodies, well poised to take up the mantle of protection as the first waves of mediocre defenders start to fall away. This is what is happening in the immune system of those who got vaccinated months ago: An initial burst of antibody activity, followed by a gentle tapering off, as the body goes back to baseline. “Immune responses can’t just stay in your blood forever,” Langel told me. If they didn’t abate, we’d have no room or resources for the body to mount a different defense, against another threat—and our blood would be nothing more than a useless antibody sludge.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
So we should pay for a $3K experimental treatment that could've been prevented with a $20 fully authorized vaccine? Big Pharma is laughing at the people that complain about vaccine profits and risks but seem to totally ignore this because it's hyped in the misinformation media..

https://www.wbrc.com/2021/09/23/monoclonal-antibody-treatment-costs/
At MainStreet Family Care they have seen the demand for monoclonal antibody treatments skyrocket. Betsey Stewart with MainStreet said,“ Companywide we were doing between 60-80 IV treatments a day. Keep in mind that treatment takes two hours per patient.”

The monoclonal drug is expensive but the federal government is covering the cost. “The drug itself is provided free to the sites. That is significant because the drug normally costs between $3,000 to $5,000 a dose,” Dr. Michael Saag, UAB Infectious Diseases, said.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
We need to be very careful using this study to make points one way one the other. The study shows that in areas of high vaccination the vaccinated will be the majority of carriers of the virus because vaccines are not perfect protection. That does not mean that the vaccinated and unvaccinated are equally likely to infect others. Increasing the local general population vaccination levels has been proven to be more effective than domestic (not international travel) vaccine passport segregation of the unvaccinated because the segregation does little to improve vaccine rates and this studies show the total effect is likely to be net negative effect on vaccine rates where they matter the most.

The US is getting cases under control because of vaccination and the natural cycles of the pandemic, not segregation.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(21)00389-8/fulltext
We find that a large minority of respondents report that vaccination passports for domestic use (46·5%) or international travel (42·0%) would make them no more or less inclined to accept a COVID-19 vaccine and a sizeable minority of respondents also state that they would ‘definitely’ accept a COVID-19 vaccine and that vaccine passports would make them more inclined to vaccinate (48·8% for domestic use and 42·9% for international travel). However, we find that the introduction of vaccine passports will likely lower inclination to accept a COVID-19 vaccine once baseline vaccination intent has been adjusted for. This decrease is larger if passports were required for domestic use rather than for facilitating international travel. Being male (OR 0·87, 0·76 to 0·99) and having degree qualifications (OR 0·84, 0·72 to 0·94) is associated with a decreased inclination to vaccinate if passports were required for domestic use (while accounting for baseline vaccination intent), while Christians (OR 1·23, 1·08 to 1·41) have an increased inclination over atheists or agnostics. Change in inclination is strongly connected to stated vaccination intent and will therefore unlikely shift attitudes among Black or Black British respondents, younger age groups, and non-English speakers.
Implication of all the available evidence
We find that vaccine passports receive popular support in the UK, but there exists large variations in their appeal that stratify along socio-demographic lines: most notably, younger age groups, Black and Black British ethnicities (compared to whites), and non-English speakers are more likely to express a lower inclination to vaccinate if passports were introduced. Although these groups comprise a relatively small proportion of the UK population, there are crucial issues that these perceptions among these groups cause: notably, that these groups tend to have lower baseline vaccination intent and they cluster geographically. Therefore, since geographic clusters of low vaccination uptake can result in disproportionate increases in required vaccination levels for herd immunity in adjacent settings, we need to exercise extreme caution in public health interventions that may push these areas further away from vaccination.
Notice the UK.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58535258
Speaking on The Andrew Marr Show, Mr Javid said: "We just shouldn't be doing things for the sake of it or because others are doing, and we should look at every possible intervention properly."
He said he had "never liked the idea of saying to people you must show your papers" to "do what is just an everyday activity".

"We've looked at it properly and, whilst we should keep it in reserve as a potential option, I'm pleased to say that we will not be going ahead with plans for vaccine passports," he added.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.