Coronavirus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
We'll be back to normal in less than a year... you'll see.

Question is, how can this kind of crisis be prevented from ever happening again?
My estimate is a little longer. I give it two years. And before anyone says they can’t last two years, you won’t have a choice. Those who disregarded guidelines have caused the problem to get worse.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I’d qualify that by adding “some” or “a few” countries. The majority of countries in the world do have this thing under control.
One of those countries is Sweden.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-its-fewest-daily-covid-19-cases-since-march
While many European countries are seeing new cases surge to levels not seen since the peak of the Covid-19 pandemic, Sweden – whose light-touch approach has made it an international outlier – has one of the continent’s lowest infection rates.

According to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), the Scandinavian country’s 14-day cumulative total of new cases was 22.2 per 100,000 inhabitants on Tuesday, against 279 in Spain, 158.5 in France, 118 in the Czech Republic, 77 in Belgium and 59 in the UK, all of which imposed lockdowns this spring.
“We don’t have the resurgence of the disease that many countries have,” Anders Tegnell, the country’s chief epidemiologist and architect of its no-lockdown strategy, told broadcaster France-24 in an interview, adding that the country was broadly happy with its overall strategy.

“In the end, we will see how much difference it will make to have a strategy that’s more sustainable, that you can keep in place for a long time, instead of the strategy that means that you lock down, open up and lock down over and over again.”

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Everything we do is reactionary to the root cause, China.
Yes, the root cause is the Chinese government (I always try to make a fair distinction between a country and its rulers. It's not fair to bundle them together)

But we should stop being reactionary and start being precautionary... when will we ever learn.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Something I am seeing is the "working from home" thing growing. Several friends have told me their businesses have no intent of returning to office space, they will continue to work from home. Along with work from home small towns and cities are losing income tax revenue. Using Ohio for example. I live in Bedford Heights which has a 2.0% city income tax. I worked in Euclid, Ohio which has a 2.85% city income tax. Fortunately my city gave me a tax credit but not all cities do. People I worked with in Euclid for example and lived in Aurora for example paid both 2.85% Euclid and 2.0% to Aurora. Amounts to taxation without representation. Now someone working from home no longer commuting will only be paying their city of residence which is fair.

Ron

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Yes, the root cause is the Chinese government (I always try to make a fair distinction between a country and its rulers. It's not fair to bundle them together)

But we should stop being reactionary and start being precautionary... when will we ever learn.
Unfortunately the problem here is both a cultural one of wild live animals at wet markets and a corrupt Chinese government allowing unsafe practices to continue long after other countries in Asia have cracked down on the wild animal trade. The Wet Market tradition has been warped within Asia into a illicit business operation for the sale of unsafe livestock using bribes, kickbacks and favors for some. It's a shame they have been sullied because I loved shopping in them all over Asia.

March 2020

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
In all cases the age of the infected should drive our response to COVID-19. Our efforts IMO should have been sharply directed to protect the at risk population. In Sweden their mainly successful strategy failed to protect the old and at risk population in the beginning resulting in excess deaths. In Africa the age of the population is much younger so there are much less elderly to infect and kill. While actual cases rise in the US the rates of hospitalization, and death are still decreasing as the virus infects a mainly youthful population.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Unfortunately the problem here is both a cultural one of wild live animals at wet markets and a corrupt Chinese government allowing unsafe practices to continue long after other countries in Asia have cracked down on the wild animal trade. The Wet Market tradition has been warped within Asia into a illicit business operation for the sale of unsafe livestock using bribes, kickbacks and favors for some. It's a shame they have been sullied because I loved shopping in them all over Asia.

March 2020
Unfortunately that is how it is and what you and I remember remains but it's not the same places. Been some years but flying into China reminded me of when I was a kid. My first job when I was 18 was driving truck in NYC. Every morning I picked up my truck on LI (Long Island) and drove the LIE (Long Island Expressway) Westbound into NYC. NYC was easy to find, it was that orange cloud of smog dead ahead. When my life found it's way to LA it was about the same smog and pollution. Even when I got to Cleveland in 72 it was the same but with those steel mills cooking the economy was wonderful. Pretty sure we have both seen it globally. Cleveland so bad we had a river catch fire. Today things are much different here on the North American Continent. Not quite the same for Asia and China will do whatever it takes to remain where they are. Nothing will change anytime soon and while that is sad that is the way it is.

Ron

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.kptv.com/general/how-it...cle_0607a86c-06fc-578a-a53c-882563ec278a.html

How it all went wrong (again) in Europe as second wave grips continent
But Europe can take some comfort from experience. Professor Mark Woolhouse, an epidemiologist at the University of Edinburgh, told CNN earlier this month that the initial lockdown was "never, ever going to solve the problem for us in Europe or anywhere else; it was simply deferring it."
https://apnews.com/a01ddfa2e8ef839b2ee05e2cbcd63169
“It’s very important that we have quick and local response to hit down the virus without making restrictions for the whole country,” Health Minister Lena Hallengren said last week.

From the beginning, health officials argued that Sweden was pursuing a sustainable approach toward the virus that the population could adopt — for years, if necessary. “This is a marathon, not a sprint,” became a slogan repeated by ministers at every opportunity, given that neither a vaccine nor a cure yet exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Since neither a vaccine nor a cure yet exist my best guess is that it will run its course and that's about it. No magic bullet. Throughout all the hype and media coverage it sure has plenty of people running real scared, some won't leave their homes. Anyway it will be over when it's over.

Ron

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Since neither a vaccine nor a cure yet exist my best guess is that it will run its course and that's about it. No magic bullet. Throughout all the hype and media coverage it sure has plenty of people running real scared, some won't leave their homes. Anyway it will be over when it's over.
And it should be kept in mind: no matter how virulent, how deadly, no virus has ever been as virulent, or deadly, as (Political reference removed by moderator).

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
And it should be kept in mind: no matter how virulent, how deadly, no virus has ever been as virulent, or deadly, as (Political reference removed by moderator).
Facts are verboten on AAC.

And yes, I realize I will be banned for this comment, and no one will see it. Only proves my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.