Coronavirus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Then perhaps Oregon should pass a law that requires that a grocery store employee wheel your cart out to your car and put the bags inside.
Heinin's chain here in NE Ohio. Sort of a higher end grocery store chain. Never a wait at registers and then your cart gets a numbered tag. You walk out to your vehicle and they load your groceries. I normally tip but they don't encourage it and it's all like part of the bagging process. People who work there claim it's a great place to work and unlike all the other super markets they are closed on Sundays and holidays.

Ron
Only Marines and Teamsters do that.;)
Naw, we just move piles of rocks.

Ron

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Heinin's chain here in NE Ohio. Sort of a higher end grocery store chain. Never a wait at registers and then your cart gets a numbered tag. You walk out to your vehicle and they load your groceries. I normally tip but they don't encourage it and it's all like part of the bagging process. People who work there claim it's a great place to work and unlike all the other super markets they are closed on Sundays and holidays.
I have ZERO problem with a store that CHOOSES to that as part of THEIR business model. I wasn't suggesting that stores should or should not do it, I was sarcastically suggesting that the government should FORCE them to do it so as to be consistent with the claim that their law regarding gas station self service is a good law because it employs more people.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I haven't seen a station that pumps for you around here for a long, long time.
By the time I got my license just shy of four decades ago everything (around here) was self-service. But I remember when it wasn't and when self-serve islands started popping up. I was too young to even ask if it was due to changes in government policy/law or just something that some company dreamed up -- I just assumed it was the latter. For at least a few years it was very common for stores to have both and the gas prices at the self-serve islands was always cheaper.

Then again, those were the days when "regular" meant it had lead in it.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
They all had lead in em until they came out with white gas. Before the Fed Mandate there was only one fuel brand that sold pure untreated gasoline. I may be wrong but I think the marine gasoline I use in the boat still does use lead. Plus it's 90+ octane and no ethanol to gum things up after sitting a while. Yeah I cut grass, bagged groceries and pumped gas way back when.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Aviation fuel is still leaded (most of it). The usual aviation gas used in civil aviation is 100LL (100 octane "low lead"). At least that was the case when I stopped flying nearly two decades ago, but I think that's still the case. There's always a push to eliminate lead from aviation gas, but piston aviation is such a small piece of the pie (leaded Avgas consumption is about 0.1% that of automotive gasoline consumption in the U.S.) that it doesn't matter much one way or the other and the performance/safety concerns for small aircraft have thus far won out. But that probably won't last much longer.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I have ZERO problem with a store that CHOOSES to that as part of THEIR business model. I wasn't suggesting that stores should or should not do it, I was sarcastically suggesting that the government should FORCE them to do it so as to be consistent with the claim that their law regarding gas station self service is a good law because it employs more people.
Oh no, I got it, knew exactly what your point was. Just thought I would give Heinin's a push. :)

Ron

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Let's be clear.
I never said it was a good law. I only said it was a poor time (loss of employment in a crisis) to temporarily change the law for dubious Coronavirus protection.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/coron...cks-son-out-of-house-after-spring-break-trip/

Coronavirus-panicked dad locks son out of house after spring break trip
Once they arrived, Dad met them at the door, and blocked them from coming in.

“I had filled the trunk of Matt’s car with groceries and left him an envelope containing $300 in cash,” Peter said. “All the guys’ keys were on the front seat. They got out of the car [from the airport] near our driveway and I said, ‘Stay right there! Do not go any further!’ The guys were tired and they had a two-and-a-half hour drive ahead of them. I love my son, but they were not sleeping here. I said, ‘If any of you have to pee, we have some bushes.’ Two of them took me up on it.”

Status
Not open for further replies.