Coronavirus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
That's not entirely away from what we're discussing. Down here the same soup scarcity has happened, both in its canned and dried pasta forms. I blame those with a survivalist attitude for this phenomena. Most likely some people stocked their pantries with non-perishable goods so as to feel safer during this pandemic.
Yep, and soon the same shelves will be overflowing with all types of Campbell's canned soup. Much like toilet paper and certain other commodities. I have seen it all before. Looked at grocery list, looked back at my wife and told her, forget the Golden Mushroom soup. Even the soups normally used for cooking were gone and have been gone for over a month. I am even seeing advertising for MREs (Meal Ready to Eat) which the preppies seem to be having a ball with. These are not even GI surplus but imitation stuff. On the bright side things are slowly returning to normal up here in NE Ohio. Nice to see restaurants opening other than carry out only and more people moving about. :) Seeing TV commercials selling mask. Package of 10 for $20 USD but if I act now I can get two packages of ten mask for my $20 which is paying about a buck a mask for mask which typically sold for $0.15 before all this happened. Apparently a pandemic when managed right can be very profitable. :)

Ron

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Anyone else noticed anything funny about their toilet paper lately? Suddenly the rolls have become narrower... I assume, bad move I know, that the length and number of sheets have remained the same, just narrower rolls now.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Anyone else noticed anything funny about their toilet paper lately? Suddenly the rolls have become narrower... I assume, bad move I know, that the length and number of sheets have remained the same, just narrower rolls now.
And it's highly unlikely that our butts have grown narrower too...

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I only noticed that in places like store rest rooms. The stuff I buy for home use is the same width.. Most of the commercial stuff is narrower.

Ron

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/26/moderna-vaccine-candidate-trial-participant-severe-reaction/
“As we rush to get a vaccine developed as quickly as possible, the reality of vaccine development is that it can only be rushed so much and the trial still needs to take place,” Haydon said. “They have to move at the speed they move at. And stories like what happened to me, they matter because they shape the approval process.”

In the 45-person Moderna study, four participants experienced what are known as “Grade 3” adverse events — side effects that are severe or medically significant but not immediately life-threatening. Neither the company nor the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, which is running the trial, have previously detailed the nature of those incidents, but Moderna did disclose that three, likely including Haydon, received the highest dose of the vaccine that was tested, and had reactions that involved their whole bodies. A fourth received a lower dose and had a rash at the injection site.
I don't want to be first in line for the new vaccine.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It assumes an overall symptomatic case fatality rate (CFR) of 0.4 percent, roughly four times the estimated CFR for the seasonal flu. The CDC estimates that the CFR for COVID-19 falls to 0.05 percent among people younger than 50 and rises to 1.3 percent among people 65 and older. For people in the middle (ages 50–64), the estimated CFR is 0.2 percent.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html#box

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Michael McHaney Illinois State Court Judge said:
Since the inception of this insanity, the following regulations, rules or consequences have occurred: I won’t get COVID if I get an abortion but I will get COVID if I get a colonoscopy. Selling pot is essential but selling goods and services at a family-owned business is not. Pot wasn’t even legal and pot dispensaries didn’t even exist in this state until five months ago and, in that five months, they have become essential but a family-owned business in existence for five generations is not.

A family of six can pile in their car and drive to Carlyle Lake without contracting COVID but, if they all get in the same boat, they will. We are told that kids rarely contract the virus and sunlight kills it, but summer youth programs, sports programs are cancelled. Four people can drive to the golf course and not get COVID but, if they play in a foursome, they will. If I go to Walmart, I won’t get COVID but, if I go to church, I will. Murderers are released from custody while small business owners are threatened with arrest if they have the audacity to attempt to feed their families.

These are just a few of examples of rules, regulations and consequences that are arbitrary, capricious, and completely devoid of anything even remotely approaching common sense.
The defendant in this case orders you to stay home and pronounces that, if you leave the state, you are putting people in danger, but his family members traveled to Florida and Wisconsin because he deems such travel essential. One initial rationale why the rules don’t apply to him is that his family farm had animals that needed [to be] fed. Try selling that argument to farmers who have had to slaughter their herds because of disruption in the supply chain.

When laws do not apply to those who make them, people are not being governed, they are being ruled. Make no mistake, these executive orders are not laws. They are royal decrees. Illinois citizens are not being governed, they are being ruled. The last time I checked Illinois citizens are also Americans and Americans don’t get ruled. The last time a monarch tried to rule Americans, a shot was fired that was heard around the world. That day led to the birth of a nation consensually governed based upon a document which ensures that on this day in this, [or] any American courtroom tyrannical despotism will always lose and liberty, freedom and the Constitution will always win.
https://docs.google.com/viewerng/vi...uploads/chorus_asset/file/19997671/ruling.pdf

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
More likely the rolls are 8 to 12 feet long before they are cut and making them narrower gives more rolls for the same amount (area) of TP

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Seems a lot of "grocery" items are shrinking in size to keep the per-unit sales price the same these days.
That's been happening for years.

What I find really annoying is when they don't shrink the packaging, just the amount that's IN the package. It's not uncommon at all for a package to be able to easily hold twice or even three times the amount that is actually in there.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
That's been happening for years.

What I find really annoying is when they don't shrink the packaging, just the amount that's IN the package. It's not uncommon at all for a package to be able to easily hold twice or even three times the amount that is actually in there.
That's why I like buying Pringles instead of a bag of chips of any other brand...

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Ohio has come out with their guidelines for daycare facilities to reopen. It will effectively reduce their capacity by 50% and likely be a final nail in the coffin for half of them. This will in turn create more unlicensed facilities which will thrive and not abide by any rules, regulations or pay taxes. They never learn?

Ron.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Ohio has come out with their guidelines for daycare facilities to reopen. It will effectively reduce their capacity by 50% and likely be a final nail in the coffin for half of them. This will in turn create more unlicensed facilities which will thrive and not abide by any rules, regulations or pay taxes. They never learn?

Ron.
Feels like the new prohibition era? Prohibition of human contact

I have to go on a service trip for work to an island that so far have not had any known cases. I will be there for 4 days. I have to isolate for the full time and can only go between work and accomodations. I have had to get a travel permit ad an essential worker. Iy is unclear how long they will keep this going. There are about 10000 people living there and all they have for income is logging and tourism.

Oh, i cannot go into any stores either, but I have been bringing my own food for years now anyway

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015

I have to go on a service trip for work to an island that so far have not had any known cases. I will be there for 4 days. I have to isolate for the full time and can only go between work and accommodations. I have had to get a travel permit ad an essential worker. Iy is unclear how long they will keep this going. There are about 10000 people living there and all they have for income is logging and tourism.

Oh, i cannot go into any stores either, but I have been bringing my own food for years now anyway
My sister was stuck on a cruise ship. The really cool part was nobody on the ship was sick. They were pretty much all isolated. Yeah, think about places that rely on tourism? This whole thing has brought about new levels of insanity. I actually know people who stay in their houses all day and night and worry.

Ron

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017

I have to go on a service trip for work to an island that so far have not had any known cases. I will be there for 4 days. I have to isolate for the full time and can only go between work and accomodations. I have had to get a travel permit ad an essential worker. Iy is unclear how long they will keep this going. There are about 10000 people living there and all they have for income is logging and tourism.

When I was off base in Puerto Rico I spent a lot of my free time there swimming in the ocean. Then comes all of these restrictions and suddenly the beaches are closed. The grocery stores are packed to the gills but for some reason I can't even go for a swim. Maybe they're just afraid of people catching Covid-19 from shark bites? Give me a break!

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
When I was off base in Puerto Rico I spent a lot of my free time there swimming in the ocean. Then comes all of these restrictions and suddenly the beaches are closed. The grocery stores are packed to the gills but for some reason I can't even go for a swim. Maybe they're just afraid of people catching Covid-19 from shark bites? Give me a break!
Where I am I have 2 dogs that I like to take out of town for free runs. We are surrounded by the forest. There are lots of spots where we can go and encounter no people or another dog walker like me. When they closed town walking corridors and small city parks as well as kids playgrounds, guess what happened? First day I had to drive 45 min out of town to find first spot where there was less than 4 parked cars as all of our usual places were packed. This whole thing is insane. BTW, the trails they closed never see more than one person at a time...

But to add fuel to the fire, certain priveledged minorities were freely gathering in masses. Police would do a drive by and leave. All of this as families in empty parking lots were ticketed hundreds of dollars.

Question is how long this charade will go on. Also, working in the hospital, what will happen when they start forcing an untested vaccine?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Where I am I have 2 dogs that I like to take out of town for free runs. We are surrounded by the forest. There are lots of spots where we can go and encounter no people or another dog walker like me. When they closed town walking corridors and small city parks as well as kids playgrounds, guess what happened? First day I had to drive 45 min out of town to find first spot where there was less than 4 parked cars as all of our usual places were packed. This whole thing is insane. BTW, the trails they closed never see more than one person at a time...

But to add fuel to the fire, certain priveledged minorities were freely gathering in masses. Police would do a drive by and leave. All of this as families in empty parking lots were ticketed hundreds of dollars.

Question is how long this charade will go on. Also, working in the hospital, what will happen when they start forcing an untested vaccine?
I dunno. If you want to go out and "die of stupid", please be my guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.