Convert headphone to guitar amp input

jockorange

Joined May 31, 2019
i have a usb audio interface for my guitar so i can use various software and the output is a 1/4 headphone jack. if i plug this into my guitar amp i can hear what i would describe as data interference. if i use a set of headphones i do not hear this noise, so i figured i need to alter the signal so i don't hear any interference on my guitar amp.

Can anyone help me sort this out please

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The signal level for a guitar amp input is way lower than a headphone output. Is there a line input on your guitar amp? That would work better.

Otherwise, you will need to attenuate the signal before going to the amp input. This can be done with two resistors.

Bob

jockorange

Joined May 31, 2019
Hi, my guitar amp has 2 inputs 1 for the guitar and 1 labeled cd in.
what resistors would i need and how would i go about making the cable?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Try plugging it into the CD in. That would be a line input and should work okay with a headphone out.

If it sounds the same on both, then my analysis is wrong.

Bob

jockorange

Joined May 31, 2019
hi bob, i did as you suggested and it is 50% ok.
if i run my guitar tutor program it is ok, but if i run guitar amp software the noise is back. very weird.

jockorange

Joined May 31, 2019
i may have figured it out. what i think is happening is my guitar is picking up the electronic noise of my pc/monitor. even when i am plugged straight into my amplifier, when i turn and face my pc i hear the same noise when i choose 3 of the 5 positions on my pickup selector, but not the other 2 i think my guitar needs shielding