convert flashlight with AAA batteries to plugin DC adapter

RCstp

Joined Jan 4, 2013
I have a flashlight with 32 LEDs which runs on 3 AAA batteries. I would like to power this flashlight from an adapter plugged into the wall current. I searched the forum and read other similar discussions but I'm still not sure what output the adapter needs to have. Is there a range that will work, do I need to be concerned about the output voltage and amps? Is there a maximum voltage or amperage that I should avoid so I don't burn out the LEDs?
Any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-3-4-quarter-inch-32-led-flashlight-98504.html

RCstp

Joined Jan 4, 2013
I have a 6 volt 300mA adpater do you think I can use that? Or might it burn out the LEDs? The reply said 4.5v to 5v -minimum- so I'm thinking that 6 volt will be ok. Maybe the LEDs will be brighter?

Thanks for your help.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Very often cell phone chragers is 5 volt. And about 500mA to 1000mA. Everyone has one or more of those lying around

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have a 6 volt 300mA adpater do you think I can use that? Or might it burn out the LEDs?
If it's really 6 volts, you're fine. But old wall wart power supplies have open voltages far above the rated (at current load), nominal voltage. If it's a more modern SMPS at a regulated 6v, over-voltage isn't a problem.

Oh wait! You said 3 AAAs. Hmmm.... 6 volts is a bit much. You might consider a current limiting resistor in series. A 5V USB charger would be better.

RCstp

Joined Jan 4, 2013
I have several 6 volt adapters so I was hoping I could use them and I don't think I have any old cell phone adapters, but I will check and if I do, I'll try that. However, I have many USB adapters, but I don't understand how to use them. Do I take a USB adapter that plugs into the wall and strip the wires at the USB end and then follow the image at the link below and join the two positive wires and then join the two negative wires and that should give me the proper output?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USB.svg

Last edited:

RCstp

Joined Jan 4, 2013
I figured it out, in the wikipedia diagram, pin 1 is 5 volt, pin, pin 4 is the ground. Thanks for your help.

I have a flashlight with 32 LEDs which runs on 3 AAA batteries. I would like to power this flashlight from an adapter plugged into the wall current. I searched the forum and read other similar discussions but I'm still not sure what output the adapter needs to have. Is there a range that will work, do I need to be concerned about the output voltage and amps? Is there a maximum voltage or amperage that I should avoid so I don't burn out the LEDs?
Any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Were you able to do that? It looks like cool idea even I would love to do that. Waiting for reply. Thanks in advance:)