Controlling a Dc motor

Setofdraws

Joined Aug 9, 2021
Hello

New to this forum so let me know if I have posted in the wrong thread but looking for some help.

I want to power a small dc motor (the kind you get in radio control cars) to work in a way such as a windscreen wiper so back and forth for about 10 second, stop for about a minute and then continue this loop. Is there anything I can use that will perform this action... such as a relay etc

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC!

It would be very helpful to explain what the motor will actually be doing, and if you have a particular motor in mind, to post its details.

Last edited:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
To control the on/off timing, the easiest "circuit" would be to (1) buy and program an Arduino microcontroller or (2) buy a 555 timer development board (but the option 2 is not very accurate in the timing and difficult in the multi-minute timescale.

The options above are control logic and cannot output much power so you'll need to connect the to a switching device, like a Relay (asyou suggested) or a suitable mosfet transistor.

The question becomes, what are your skills in programming? What is your interest in electronics (d unwanted to make circuitboards or do you want to wire together some modules? Also, what is your budget?

For timing, you can get something like this and just punch up/down arrows and enter keys to set time for about 100USD. Alternatively, an Arduino microcontroller that you'll have to learn c++ type of language will cost about $6 (Arduino nano clone on eBay/Amazon or cheaper from Ali-express). Once we get that decision taken care of, we can move on to the relay and connections.

https://www.wolfautomation.com/3-in...czesA5-NJBHwLvRRssO0I9dHhQenW_VhoCDSwQAvD_BwE

Or something less "professional" for about $10
https://www.amazon.com/Excelity-Tim...t=&hvlocphy=1024046&hvtargid=pla-688705051595

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi it be used in a plush toy where the arms are swiping
OK, what will he motor be moving? You are almost certainly going to have to include some limit switches that sense when the motor has gone as far to one side as you want.

The easiest way–at least in one sense–to do this is with something like an Arduino microcontroller. You could also use something like a 555 integrated circuit for the timing and relays for reversing.

It might help if you described what will happen if you succeed, what will this thing do?

Setofdraws

Joined Aug 9, 2021
My kids got a project where they have to make a moving toy. They thought it be fun to have the plush toy moving its arms in the air in the tune of music

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Well... this project is "simple" for someone who already knows what is needed but has a lot of moving parts for a neophyte.

I tried to find a cheap and easy 555 based timer module and though they exist the reviews said quality control was very poor. It would be very frustrating to deal with that and not know why it wasn't working.

If we break this down, you need to things:

The motor needs to travel some number of degrees in one direction, then reverse and do the same in the other.
The motor power needs to be applied for n seconds even x seconds.

The first would be most easily done with limit switches. That is, small sensitive switches positioned to be operated by the moving part at the end of travel. The switches would operate something designed to reverse the motor's direction. This could be electromechanical (relays) or solid state (transistors).

The second would be most easily and classically done with a 555 integrated circuit. There are many simple circuits using the 555 and many people here can help apply them to your project.

Are you comfortable with a soldering iron? Can you read a schematic? Do you have a multimeter?

These sorts of things will determine how hard the project will be for you.

One more option, maybe the best one overall, is to use an Arduino microcontroller. You will still need the limit switches and switching devices for the motor but the Arduino would let you be much more flexible with the timing and maybe open up a new hobby area for you and your kids.

To really help, we'll need to have some more details like timelines and maybe a drawing of what you expect it to look like, etc.

This is a simple project in a lot of ways but has a lot of prerequisites that will make it more or less harder depending on you and the parameters.

Setofdraws

Joined Aug 9, 2021
Thanks for the info. I have limited knowledge in these sort of things and was really looking for a ready built solution with me just inputting the variables. I guess none exist at present

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks for the info. I have limited knowledge in these sort of things and was really looking for a ready built solution with me just inputting the variables. I guess none exist at present
There are some modules that come close, but because you are using a simple toy motor open loop control, that is, doing something like running the motor one direction for a time then reversing it for another interval will just not have any predictable behavior. That's why the limit switches are needed.

There are kits to make small robots, but everything is going to take some learning.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Hello

New to this forum so let me know if I have posted in the wrong thread but looking for some help.

I want to power a small dc motor (the kind you get in radio control cars) to work in a way such as a windscreen wiper so back and forth for about 10 second, stop for about a minute and then continue this loop. Is there anything I can use that will perform this action... such as a relay etc
How accurate do you want the timings to be?
If it is something like About 8 Secs Clockwise, 8 Secs Counter Clockwise, 64 Secs OFF.... repeated endlessly, all you need is a 555 timer and a Quad D Flip Flop.
The point I'm making is that, in general, if the Timing is Not Critical and the CW / CCW / OFF times are all related by a '2' factor, all you need is a simple clock driving a chain of D Flip Flops.
You will need a Relay with a Single contact (SPST), another with a Dual 2 Way (DPDT) contact, but all can be replaced by FET's.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
There is a mechanical aspect to this that could simplify things.
You need an oscillating motion, not necessarily a linear motion with forward and reverse stops.
A Gear-Motor with a Crank and Connecting-Rod arrangement would mean that the Motor simply
has to run in one direction periodically.
A job for which a 555 timer is ideally suited.

But of course, You could get fancy and install a Servo from an RC Airplane,
and control it with a cheap entry-level Transmitter.
I think that would blow everybody away !!!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
There is a mechanical aspect to this that could simplify things.
You need an oscillating motion, not necessarily a linear motion with forward and reverse stops.
A Gear-Motor with a Crank and Connecting-Rod arrangement would mean that the Motor simply
has to run in one direction periodically.
A job for which a 555 timer is ideally suited.

But of course, You could get fancy and install a Servo from an RC Airplane,
and control it with a cheap entry-level Transmitter.
I think that would blow everybody away !!!
A mechanical oscillator like a windshield wiper is a good idea. It would eliminate a lot of things you don't otherwise need.

Setofdraws

Joined Aug 9, 2021
If I was to just have the arms moving continously without the stop start and loop. What will I need? Thank you for all your help

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If I was to just have the arms moving continously without the stop start and loop. What will I need? Thank you for all your help
The easiest way would be to make a mechanical arrangement of the sort used in windshield wipers. That way, the motor doesn’t need to be reversed.

There are several possible arrangements of the arms and eccentric wheel, searching for “how does a windshield wiper work” will get you several ideas.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
My kids got a project where they have to make a moving toy. They thought it be fun to have the plush toy moving its arms in the air in the tune of music
The problem is as I see it is maintaining the arm stroke to co-inside with the rythem of the music.
Presumably this is the aim, maintaining motor rpm, especially as the power diminishes is going to be difficult.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Just FYI Audacity, a very good audio processing tool, is terrible at identifying beats. It is not as easy as you would think. I have coordinated lights to the music for dance routines, essentially choreographing the light patterns. I had to identify and tabulate the beats by ear, and the graphical representation in Audacity, and build this into the microcontroller software.

Bob