Connecting bridge rectifier to outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCircuitsHaveEyes

Joined Mar 19, 2016
Hi.

I was wondering if I could connect a bridge rectifier directly to my outlet and then test it with the multimeter to see if I get DC out of it. Theoretically, there is no load, right? So there should be no short. But I want to play this safe.

I should mention the bridge rectifier is not new, which is why I'm trying to test it. Does age affect safety?

Other details:
Bridge rectifier : B500R
Outlet: 220 V, 50 Hz

Also, since I'm talking about a multimeter, I was also wondering if I could test the outlet with it in DC mode.

Thanks.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
What you are describing is possible, and very dangerous. The output will not be clean DC. It will be a pulsating 1/2 sine wave, and your meter almost certainly read it incorrectly in both AC and DC modes.

The question you are asking indicates that you have very little or no familiarity with AC/DC conversion, and AC power lines in general. I strongly recommend you do not do this.

ak

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Please please do not do that. It is extremely dangerous.

If you really want to try something like this get a step down transformer and a fuse. Isolate the AC connections to keep yourself safe.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
As already indicated, what you are describing is doable -- and dangerous. Particularly for someone that appears to know as little about this stuff as you do. It's not just a matter of plugging in a bridge rectifier, you have to carefully choose which bridge rectifier to use otherwise you will let the magic smoke out of it and possibly yourself.

This is not a put-down -- we were all there at one time. It just says that you need to take baby steps using safer voltages before attempting something like this.

Finally, because of the inherent dangers to inexperienced people, the owners of this site haved barred discussion of direct-to-mains connections such as this. Therefor this thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.