Confusing Icons for selecting Siglent Scope Slope Trigger

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Looking into setting the trigger conditions for my scope and there is NO explanation in the manual as to what these Icons represent. They are the Slope Triggers. First 3 are rising and last 3 falling, that part I get. Not sure that I understand the > < = parts of the Icons. What do these trigger condition Icons actually mean? On the same menu screen is also the setting for Time in uSeconds. How does this relate to the trigger condition?

trigger.JPG

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Perhaps it actually is sensitive to the slope of the change (i.e., dV/dt), not just whether it is rising or falling? For example, for a low to high, you can set minimum, maximum or equal for transitions times that will be captured./

I don't think my Rigol has that ability.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I have the PDF I downloaded from the Siglent USA site (plus the hardcopy that came with the scope) which is a bit newer than the link you posted. They both show the same chart as your link w/o explanation for slope. You can set rising, falling, or both for slope and the time base for it. But there is no explaining of the actual details on when it should be used or why just the pertinent keystrokes to set it. So I am a bit confused. They pack a lot into these digital scopes without any explanation of why only how. Thx.

Sam

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
That is the table for Pulse, not Slope... I fail to see a correlation between the two.
Yes but Pulse operators are for pulse width trigger settings whereas operators for Slope are for the 'time' of the edge trigger and of course it will be trigger level dependent too.
These demonstrate the power of a DSO's trigger functions where a # of conditions can be set before a stable trigger is acquired.
Really more use when combined with Single mode.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It certainly looks like you are going to need to do a bit of actual experimenting to understand what they are saying. It is a lot like some posts I see here, where an assumption is made that everybody is very familiar with whatever the TS is asking about. It is perfectly clear to the originator, whose thinking may be quite different from ours.
so use a function generator that is able to produce a triangle wave with variable shape, rise and fall different slopes, and see what those different selections do with the trigger as you vary the slopes. It is not clear to me, either, what they are saying but now you may see what it will take to understand the meanings. Of course, those are rather poor icons no matter what.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
It certainly looks like you are going to need to do a bit of actual experimenting to understand what they are saying. It is a lot like some posts I see here, where an assumption is made that everybody is very familiar with whatever the TS is asking about. It is perfectly clear to the originator, whose thinking may be quite different from ours.
so use a function generator that is able to produce a triangle wave with variable shape, rise and fall different slopes, and see what those different selections do with the trigger as you vary the slopes. It is not clear to me, either, what they are saying but now you may see what it will take to understand the meanings. Of course, those are rather poor icons no matter what.
That will only work with Slope trigger settings whereas Pulse settings are for pulse width.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That will only work with Slope trigger settings whereas Pulse settings are for pulse width.
Since the question posed by the TS is about the slope trigger setting icon meanings it is quite appropriate to use a slope trigger setting with a variable slope generator to investigate how it works. What it looks like to me is that there can be higher levels on rising than on falling, or else the opposite. But if a person is only triggering on one point I don't see why it matters.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Exactly, the pulse triggers are well explained and not what I was asking about. The slope triggers show only the ICON in the table with NO explanation. So rising on leading edge or... The ICONs with no explanation are a bit ambiguous. I was hoping for a quick answer without having to spend my time to experimentally determine it myself.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Exactly, the pulse triggers are well explained and not what I was asking about. The slope triggers show only the ICON in the table with NO explanation. So rising on leading edge or... The ICONs with no explanation are a bit ambiguous.
Yet if you look at them carefully it's clear if they apply to rising and/or falling edges. There's 6 icons right ?
3 for rising and 3 for falling each with operators <, >, or =.
These apply for time and on P2 of the trigger menu there's further selections for levels of which you can set a high and low limit and using all these features you can effectively set a trigger window.

Also, have a look at the Help menu then press the button you want an explanation for.