Configuration memory of ProAsic3E

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
It's all about degrees of .
Fpgas tend to be flash or sram based.
Srams have a much smaller charge than flash , and tend to be much more suitable to radiation.
If you go to the microchip site for these fpga, there are many articles on rad tolerance.
Rad tolerance comes in many layers.
The chips are designed to have resilience built in at the gate level.
Often the chip packaging itself adds extra protection .not your normal plastic beast .
Then there are things like triple mode redundancy built into the registers,
And one designs the code itself to be resilient, from things like fully defined state machines, all transitions tested and defined , no redundant code , proper resets et all.

addigde

Joined Dec 15, 2023
Thanks for your replay! I see, that means what ProASIC3 configuration flash is based on common flash which more resilient to radiation(relates to SEE) then SRAM

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
Thanks for your replay! I see, that means what ProASIC3 configuration flash is based on common flash which more resilient to radiation(relates to SEE) then SRAM
Near enough. Plus the chip has many more layered of radiation protection on top of the basic big flash cells.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
Sorry, now I didn't understand, what is more layered of radiation protection ProASIC3E configuration memory has?
Radiation protection is not just the fact it has big flash cells.
Read the bits I pointed to originally on the micro semi site. They have lots of features to increase the radiation protection , and they love to tell you why they are so good. Just pop over there and read.
If your going to be using their parts , have a chat , they will be very keen to get you involved.