Compatible replacement for a ceramic wire wound 2.4k resistor

dltocci113

Joined Jan 9, 2024
I inherited an old subwoofer (circa 1999). As a project I am replacing all capacitors and would like to also replace the ceramic wire wound resistors too. However, I am having trouble sourcing a replacement for the original resistor made by Bennic 5W 2K4RJ. There are no ceramic 2.4k resistors of equal size at Mouser, Digikey or Part Express. The part is height:~22mm and ~9mm wide and deep. The leads when bent need to be longer than 22mm to reach the circuit board.

My question is: I believe I can substitute the ceramic for another type resistor but not sure what is appropriate. Need help. <I am a novice at this type endeavor.>

Can I someone advise if I can substitute the ceramic 2.4k resistors with some other type of wire wound resistor of equal wattage and resistance? Can you please provide a link or picture of what you suggest with your feedback.

resistor frontside.jpg resistor backside.jpg

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
I can't think of a good reason to replace a Wire-Wound-Resistor,
unless it's been smoked because of some other odd catastrophic failure.

Resistors, as opposed to Capacitors, virtually never "go-bad".
There "may" be some slight value drift over very long periods,
but this is usually in ancient Tube equipment made before the '60's.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
But did it fail open because it's under-rated, of "cheap" construction, or because of age ?
It looks like it wasn't because of age.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The one I showed was just an example, the actual one I quoted was slightly larger and higher value.
Just the HS mounting is the same.
The one referenced in post #2 is a 10W, so should stand up a little better.
If extending a lead, solder the second piece for the full length of the original.

dltocci113

Joined Jan 9, 2024
I can't think of a good reason to replace a Wire-Wound-Resistor,
unless it's been smoked because of some other odd catastrophic failure.

Resistors, as opposed to Capacitors, virtually never "go-bad".
There "may" be some slight value drift over very long periods,
but this is usually in ancient Tube equipment made before the '60's.
Thank you. Fairly new to doing a electronic refresh project. I have read similar feedback about low probability ti replace resistors. I may avoid it altogether and just do all the caps. Thanks

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Yes. But would a 2k be sufficient vs. the 2.4k currently in use. There are 2 of the 2.4k resistors.
You got it before I was quick enough to edit my post. :) Not knowing the exact application I can't say if a 2K is close enough to 2.4K. I figure the original design called out 2.4K for a reason. Just don't know the reason. :(

Ron

dltocci113

Joined Jan 9, 2024
The one I showed was just an example, the actual one I quoted was slightly larger and higher value.
Just the HS mounting is the same.
The one referenced in post #2 is a 10W, so should stand up a little better.
If extending a lead, solder the second piece for the full length of the original.
Thanks, the 10w is too tall and leads too short for vertical mount unless I add length but I dont want to do that. The 5w is back ordered on every site I have searched. That’s why I am asking what other resistor can be substituted.

dltocci113

Joined Jan 9, 2024
So the point of my post is to ask for guidance on what i can substitute for the ceramic 2.4k wire wound existing resistor given all sites with ceramiic 2.4k 5w of the same type and size are backordered for 1-3months.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Basically because I am replacing the caps and figured I replace the resistors of the subwoofer amp board while I have it apart.
I wouldn’t replace the resistors just because you are replacing the capacitors. In fact, I don’t go replacing capacitors just because you feel like doing so.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
This thread reminds me of one a few years ago where the thread starter decided to relpace the resistors in a valve (Tube) audio pre amp that was working perfectly before he started . After replacing them it did not work. He had replace some with values up to 10000 times too high or too low in value . He could not read colour codes correctly.

Les,

dltocci113

Joined Jan 9, 2024
I didn’t ask for opinions on what I should and shouldn’t do. My question was quite simple.
Just looking for input from more experienced folks on what would be a compatible resistor to replace a Bennic ceramic 2.4k, any similar type ceramics resistor of the same physical size are on 12-16 week backorder. As I write this it occurs I should just reach out to Mouser or Digikey directly.