Clock signal - how to calculate

Morten Andersen

Joined Jun 7, 2019
Hello, i´m and engineering student at a danish University, and we have been given an assignment that requires the calculation of a clock signal.
Me and my work buddy is having some difficulties with this, as we have never tried calculating one before, but only worked with one handed to us.
We are to use a 74HC4060 chip for it, and there by needs to calculate the resistors and condensators size for a given frequency of the clock. Any one able to explain to me how we accomplish that? if there is a better way to generate a specific clock signal, im also interested in hearing about that.
-Morten.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hello, i´m and engineering student at a danish University, and we have been given an assignment that requires the calculation of a clock signal.
Me and my work buddy is having some difficulties with this, as we have never tried calculating one before, but only worked with one handed to us.
We are to use a 74HC4060 chip for it, and there by needs to calculate the resistors and condensators size for a given frequency of the clock. Any one able to explain to me how we accomplish that? if there is a better way to generate a specific clock signal, im also interested in hearing about that.
-Morten.
As this is an university assignment, it belongs in Homework Help and will likely be moved there.

There are specific rules for Homework Help. No one should give you the answer, but can lead you to find the solution yourself. In order to get any benefit, you need to supply us with the work you have done thus far.

To help you get started, what do you know about the 74HC4060 chip? I am assuming that you have downloaded and read the datasheet.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
-Morten.
What frequency are you trying to get the clock to run at?

No one can even start to help you figure out component values unless you show the schematic of the circuit you are planning to use.

Try Googling for something like "generating clock using 4060" or similar.

Morten Andersen

Joined Jun 7, 2019
I did look at a datasheet, but was unable to find a way to calculate the clock, and I looked at several pages too, but nothing useful was found. This datasheet however, it got exactly what i was looking for, thanks a lot!

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
In the first datasheet, I looked at it was in the diagram showing how to connect for an RC oscillator. A note said:

T = 2.2 R C

This gives the period of oscillation and is equivalent to the:

f = 0.45 / RC

in the datasheet linked above.

Bob