Clock frequency divider circuit

Huzaifa Asif

Joined Mar 22, 2015
In order to create a divide-by-two circuit, we only use an inverter that is connected between the output and the input of a flip flop.

What if we want to create a divide-by-six circuit? Cant we use an inverter for that?

Regards

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
A pity you didn't say that in your original post :(. This is clearly a Homework problem. You need to state exactly, in full, the conditions imposed on you.

Huzaifa Asif

Joined Mar 22, 2015
A pity you didn't say that in your original post :(. This is clearly a Homework problem. You need to state exactly, in full, the conditions imposed on you.
Sorry about that however I did mention about flip flops in my question but didn't explicitly stated that we are permitted to use flip flops only.
That's the only condition that's imposed on me.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
In order to create a divide-by-two circuit, we only use an inverter that is connected between the output and the input of a flip flop.

What if we want to create a divide-by-six circuit? Cant we use an inverter for that?

Regards
Look at page 4 of the datasheet attached.

Allen

Attachments

Huzaifa Asif

Joined Mar 22, 2015
Look at page 4 of the datasheet attached.

Allen
Is D-flip flop different from J-k flip flop? I couldn't understand how it's working.

Check the third figure where three flip flops are being used with each dividing the clock frequency by its half. I want to make a similar circuit but it's able to divide the clock frequency by six (1/6).
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/counter/count_1.html

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
OK, I use 3x JK flip flop and connected them as T-flip flips as in your link. Then I add a NAND gate to reset the flip flops when it counts to 6 (see circuit attached). So it would be counting from 0 to 5 (i.e. Mod 6).

Are you able to do it with 3x D-flip flops?

Allen

Mod 6 using T-FF.PNG

Huzaifa Asif

Joined Mar 22, 2015
OK, I use 3x JK flip flop and connected them as T-flip flips as in your link. Then I add a NAND gate to reset the flip flops when it counts to 6 (see circuit attached). So it would be counting from 0 to 5 (i.e. Mod 6).

Are you able to do it with 3x D-flip flops?

Allen

View attachment 82608
I haven't studied JK flip flops so I can't really understand. I shall be grateful if you can tell me how it works using D-flip flops

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
In algebra yes; but simply ANDing the outputs of two cascaded flip-flops will give a pulse period 1/4 the input clock pulse period, with a 1:3 mark/space ratio . You need AND logic to detect a count of 6 and then immediately reset the count to zero.
ClockedFlipflops.gif

Last edited: