Circular saws...

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
While cutting some 45˚ angles for doorway trim with my Miter Saw, I use my left hand to push the blade down to the wood, holding the most wood in my right and vice versa when cutting a miter on the right. It creeps me out to have my fingers even 4 inches away from a spinning blade. I'm fully engaged at all times, not speaking to someone or drinking. That begins after cutting the wood. I also pre-cut my wood then paint, some folks think it's dumb but at the end of the day I don't have to waste painters tape. Nail holes are east to cover, the 45˚ joints are easy to calk and paint as well, it just seems logical to me.

Push sticks for table saws and clamps for your wood using circular saws, keeping both hands above the blade to control the saw just seems again, logical.

kv

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Adjusting depth appropriately puts less friction on the blade, allows cut debris to be ejected better, and is safer.
That's the reason for 1/8' or more stick out. When using a hand held circular saw, not a table saw, More stick out is actually better, more of the blade in the work means it will act like a guide to make the cut straight. And when using only 1/32" stick out, there is a bigger chance that if there is a sag in the work(like between saw horses) the blade won't cut clear through the part and that is the biggest cause of kickback from a circular saw.

These are all things I learned many years ago, first from my great grandad that was a cabinet maker, and then in junior high school wood shop.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I agree with that. Much easier to get it close with a tablesaw in a workshop versus outdoors with a circular saw.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Another issue when cutting wood with a high resin content - or plastics - is a build up on the saw blade. With plastics, the speed of the saw melts as well as cuts the material. The result effectively makes cutting more difficult. When the blades cutting ability is compromised, it may get caught and bad results occur.
Agreed!:rolleyes:o_O