Circuitry not working, is it wired up correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jez365

Joined Dec 22, 2016
Hi, I am attempting to control 17 12v solenoids using my Raspberry Pi's GPIO pins. I have attempted to test this with one solenoid but the solenoid did not open. Here is a diagram I made of what my circuitry looks like:

solenoid.png

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi jez.
Look at this Vgs plot for the FET, a 3v Gate voltage is too low.
Also what is the Gate diode for.?
The Solenoid requires a suppression diode.
E

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Not surprising it doesn't work.

First the IRFZ44 requires a Vgs of 10V to fully turn on and shown here:
upload_2016-12-23_0-51-21.png
You need a logic-level type MOSFET whose ON resistance is specified at 3V or less.

Second the diode serves no purpose in the gate circuit. Furthermore it will not allow the MOSFET to turn on and off properly.
Instead, the diode should be connected across the solenoid (cathode to V+) to protect the MOSFET from the inductive transient voltage when the solenoid is turned off.

Jez365

Joined Dec 22, 2016
hi jez.
Look at this Vgs plot for the FET, a 3v Gate voltage is too low.
Also what is the Gate diode for.?
The Solenoid requires a suppression diode.
E
Not surprising it doesn't work.

First the IRFZ44 requires a Vgs of 10V to fully turn on and shown here:
View attachment 117387
You need a logic-level type MOSFET whose ON resistance is specified at 3V or less.

Second the diode serves no purpose in the gate circuit. Furthermore it will not allow the MOSFET to turn on and off properly.
Instead, the diode should be connected across the solenoid (cathode to V+) to protect the MOSFET from the inductive transient voltage when the solenoid is turned off.
Thanks for the replies. Do you know how I can search for the transistor and diode?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi jez,
As posted, the diode shown in your post is suitable for suppressing the solenoid coil.

When choosing a N MOS FET do you want to use TAB body FET's ie: thru hole types rather than surface mount.?

BYW:
What is your location.?

Jez365

Joined Dec 22, 2016
hi jez,
As posted, the diode shown in your post is suitable for suppressing the solenoid coil.

When choosing a N MOS FET do you want to use TAB body FET's ie: thru hole types rather than surface mount.?

BYW:
What is your location.?
Sorry, I am quite new to transistors and solenoids... I don't know what you are asking.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
The TIP120 looks OK for your application.

EDIT:
This is the proposed circuit. LTSpice
You will need a substantial power supply for 17 Solenoids at 12V 550mA rating.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jez365

Joined Dec 22, 2016
Thank you ericgibbs and crutschow for your help.
So I have ordered all the parts I need, here is my updated diagram:

EDIT: Sorry ericgibbs, I didn't see the update to your post. Thanks for drawing up that circuit, does the ground go into the Raspberry Pi?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.