Circuit for LED Clock

Henry Watson

Joined Jan 13, 2016
WARNING: Not your everyday clock.
I am a Product Designer so I'm not amazing at creating circuits. However, I need help creating a circuit that will help display my 'new' way of telling the time using LED's
I have attached the way I would like the time to be displayed using different shape blocks. I have also looked at current products out there that I could reuse but still no luck - if there is please let me know.

It would be great and much appreciated if someone out there could help me.

Attachments

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The drawing resolution is not great, but it looks like there are 49 distinct patterns. How does this map onto 60 seconds, or 60 minutes, or 12 or 24 hours?
The top center images are labeled 00.30 and 00.45 Is that 45 seconds or minutes?
How many distinct display segments are there? Looks like 6 sections with 4 segments each to me.
This pretty much screams for a PIC or some other small microcontroller, but a CPLD also could do this,
Multiplexed segments saves wiring and controller pins, but could cause visual flicker if not done well.
How large is the intended display area?

ak

Henry Watson

Joined Jan 13, 2016
Thanks for the reply, the time continues in 15 minute intervals. There are 7 display segments that would split up into a quarters, showing 15 minutes past the hour, 30 minutes past the hour then 45 minutes past the hour and finally full to show the hour.. The intended display area on a whole is 80x80mm

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Ok, a 12 hour clock display with 15 minute "ticks", on a pc board about 3.5" x 5". There is one display section that never is on...? Also, symbol 25 and 49 are identical

ak

Last edited:

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Never mind the electronics, your design doesn't work. There can only be 4 states per hour and there are 12 hours (assuming a 12 hour clock) so why do you show 50 states? I realise that 2 of those are identical but why?

I won't comment on the effort involved to deduce the time from these patterns....o_O

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
It looks like the intent is something that approximates a line segment traveling along an outward-growing spiral as time passes. The change in"line" width is very large. Maybe this is supposed to approximate z-axis movement; the line segment is supposed to appear to move closer to the viewer as time passes. If so, at 15 minutes per tick there will be no apparent motion; the image patterns could just as well be semaphore.

ak

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
WARNING: Not your everyday clock.
I am a Product Designer so I'm not amazing at creating circuits. However, I need help creating a circuit that will help display my 'new' way of telling the time using LED's
I have attached the way I would like the time to be displayed using different shape blocks. I have also looked at current products out there that I could reuse but still no luck - if there is please let me know.

It would be great and much appreciated if someone out there could help me.

It reminds me of this clock. It is really nice. It would be really easy to use. All you would have to do is pull your phone out of your pocket, open the QR-code reader app, take a picture of the clock and wait for a second for the time to be displayed.

EDIT - this is not my project.

Last edited: