Circuit board plastic wire connector won't release from board

Z_guy

Joined Feb 6, 2022
I have a thermopile connected to a circuit board that I need to replace. The plastic connecting plug (similar to the plug in the photo, which was easiest to photograph) won't release from its socket. The two wings on the plug don't seem to control a latch, although I could be wrong. I have tried to compress the wings as well as spread them farther away from the body without success in releasing the plug. I pulled on the plug firmly which feels like it would only rip the socket from the circuit board if I pulled any harder. Am I doing something wrong? Is the problem in the two wings?
IMG_20220204_154404024_2.jpg

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
I would suspect the notch at the bottom center is a latch as well. You may have to push in with a small screwdriver to release the latch.
As for the wings, they don't make sense for that type of socket. It may have been a "substitute" connector that just happen to fit. If that is the case, it might just be really jammed in there.

Z_guy

Joined Feb 6, 2022
That’s a standard Molex connector. It doesn’t latch but it locks with ramp-like projections in the openings on each side.

it takes a lot of force to remove but be sure they didn’t glue it in or something silly.

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/crimp_housings/0003061022
Thank you!! You are right about the force needed. I was able to grasp the female end of the connector with pliers and the male end with another set of pliers and wiggle them apart. Interestingly, they readily fit back together and easily separated again without pliers.