Christmas LED light switch bypass

muelfuel

Joined Oct 24, 2016
I've got a few strings of some LED Christmas lights that have the beautiful feature of reverting to "demo" mode everything the power is cut off to them (i.e., when I turn them off over night). As much as I appreciate having a rave scene in my front yard, my neighbours do not. I've got a couple pictures of the circuit border attached here. I'm hoping I could get any advice in how I could set these to remain on at all times (don't need flashing or any other features, just a simple on/off so I can use my power switch to shut them off when need be).

Cheers!

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
So the problem is you don't want to switch them with that onboard switch?

Can you read all the wire post labels?

It looks to me - not sure - that the board only controls the flashing and doesn't convert the power. So I think there's a good chance you can do what you want.

Do you have a multimeter? With the string on, you can (carefully) check the voltages on those posts.

And hey, it's not even Halloween yet!

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If you can measure the voltage on the leds, or show a picture pf the psu adapter, it may be possible to just wire the leds to the adapter directly, assuming its DC, otherwise need a bridge rectifier.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If you can measure the voltage on the leds, or show a picture pf the psu adapter, it may be possible to just wire the leds to the adapter directly, assuming its DC, otherwise need a bridge rectifier.
That 250V capacitor suggests to me that this board includes a capacitor input power supply, so I don't think there will be a PSU adaptor.
Everything depends on that 8 pin chip and I can find no data for it (8FDSD-8 ??).

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
That 250V capacitor suggests to me that this board includes a capacitor input power supply, so I don't think there will be a PSU adaptor.
Everything depends on that 8 pin chip and I can find no data for it (8FDSD-8 ??).
Further, Q2 (97A6) I believe is a triac to do the actual light switching.