Cheap, Low Threshold MOSFET?

airplane100000

Joined Aug 2, 2016
I am in desperate need for a cheap, low threshold MOSFET to be used in a compact pcb switch mode power supply I'm designing. I'm not asking lazily for others to do my work for me, I simply have failed twice now with an attempt to find a suitable one. With the following criteria:
6V Max - Drain Source Voltage
200ma Max - Drain Source Current
This is for low frequency - Don't need fast switching
Ideally, in a small SOT23 package.
And as CHEAP as can be.
1.5 V Gate Source Threshold - This is where my problem has been.

I tried this one, advertised as 1.9 V. The max value given is 2.6. I feed 2.8V into the gate, and to my disappointment absolutely no switching occurs. Only at 3V did noticeable conduction occur, and complete switching only at around 3.4V. The datasheet seems to be dishonest.
Should I always expect full switching to be a full volt over the given max?
That being said, should I choose one with a 1.8V threshold or less?
A particular recommendation would be excellent if one is familiar.

-I appreciate any help

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The threshold is the voltage where the device starts to conduct. The "ON" voltage is the voltage you must place on the gate, with respect to the source, in order to have a conducting channel in the device and rDS(on) at a minimum. Many people make this mistake.

On page 2 of this datasheet:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/308/NTR5103N-D-600006.pdf

notice the conditions for making rDS(on) a minimum. Vgs=10V, Id=240 mA

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I tried this one, advertised as 1.9 V. The max value given is 2.6. I feed 2.8V into the gate, and to my disappointment absolutely no switching occurs. Only at 3V did noticeable conduction occur, and complete switching only at around 3.4V. The datasheet seems to be dishonest.............
The datasheet is honest.
It's your interpretation that's wrong. :rolleyes:
Take a close look at the drain current for the specified threshold voltage.
I assume you want it to conduct more current than that. ;)

As PB noted. you need one that has it's ON resistance specified for the Vgs you want to apply.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
6V Max - Drain Source Voltage
And as CHEAP as can be.
Did you mean 60 volts? That is what the part you are using is specified for. I have used the FDN337. It is rated for 30 volts source to drain.

"As cheap as can be" is $0.000000. Give a real number of what you can tolerate in your budget (and at what quantity).

The FDN can be as cheap as $0.073 each in 10,000's.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012