Charge two aluminium plates

mlkcampion

Joined Nov 16, 2006
Hey Forum
Does anybody know how i would go about charging two aluminium plates, one with a negative charge and the other with a positive charge?

Thanks
Mike

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If you want to make the plates into a capacitor, use a small separation between them. If the voltage is going to be low, use paper or plastic film as an insulating spacer. Apply voltage from a battery and they will have + & - charges relative to one another.

mlkcampion

Joined Nov 16, 2006
Sorry bout the poor amount of detail in the question, i had thought about it
as a capacitor and i might actually try something like that. The setup will be more like the deflector plates in a CRT, i want to pass charged (ionised) water between the two plates and hopefully should see the water (extremely fine mist) deflect towards one of the plates. My own understanding suggests that it would have to be charged up to Mvolts. Note the plates are about a 12" x 12".

Actually just as a side question what is electrostatic, my understanding is that it is a charge (electron) that has been drove out of the atom structure by an attraction to a positive charge or by a very high potential?

What puzzles me is how you can built up such high potentials on your cloths?

Also would an electrostatic source (whatever that is) be of very high impedance or can you even talk about electrostatics in such a way?

Thanks
Mike

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
you wud like to have a go at the understanding of the working of ESP(electrostatic precipitator ) used in combination with pulverised fuel fired boilers so as to maintain minimum level of fly ash discharge to atmosphere.
in this case a step up transformer is used to convert something from 400-200v
to something like 30-100 KV. then a rectifier is used to convert ac to dc (this is essential) and then a field is set up to charge the moving particles by using either cathode or anode as a fine wire or some mesh type arrangement.
and the body as well as collector plates are grounded. the particles settle
down on the collector plates.
the design may change a bit for your case. the velocity of discharge shud be kept min.
i m not sure what problems wud arise due to use of steam but i think apart from having them charged some practical problems like corrosion and other such problems might arise.
try googling esp though for more info.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Sorry bout the poor amount of detail in the question, i had thought about it
as a capacitor and i might actually try something like that. The setup will be more like the deflector plates in a CRT, i want to pass charged (ionised) water between the two plates and hopefully should see the water (extremely fine mist) deflect towards one of the plates. My own understanding suggests that it would have to be charged up to Mvolts. Note the plates are about a 12" x 12".

Actually just as a side question what is electrostatic, my understanding is that it is a charge (electron) that has been drove out of the atom structure by an attraction to a positive charge or by a very high potential?

What puzzles me is how you can built up such high potentials on your cloths?

Also would an electrostatic source (whatever that is) be of very high impedance or can you even talk about electrostatics in such a way?

Thanks
Mike
Well, by doing this with water, ionized or not (although ionised water is more conductive), the only thing you will have is electrolysis. Bubbles of gas will form in both plates. Unless I'm not getting something.