Changing Speeds on 8" Drill Press

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
Hey Guys,

I'm back with my drill press from Harbor Freight. If you posted on my problem thread (http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/pcb-drilling-solutions.105969/), then you know that I bought this primarily for PCB hole drilling. It works great, and it was a perfect solution; I've made a few boards already!

My problem now is that I need to switch to a higher speed. The manual said that I needed to change the position of the drive belt, but it's significantly tight and I don't want to break it. Does anyone who has this drill know what the problem is?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
There should be a way to loosen the motor mounting rods and slide the motor to the front. It looks like there may be a lock on the RH side. From the design, there may be a lock on both sides. The belt does not have to be real tight. You also remove from the large pulley first. I went to "link belt" for my drill press (e.g.,http://www.zoro.com/i/G3722311/?utm...hopping_Feed&gclid=COjuuu6B78MCFYk8gQodFqQAig). It runs much smoother.

John

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It looks almost identical to mine, there is a tensioner on the same side as the lid latch that removes the tension on the belt for changing.
You may want to look at a DC T.M. motor and simple controller and get rid of the belt nuisance, especially for light work such as electronics.
Max.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I switched to a 3φ motor and never regretted it. The DC or 3 phase work about the same in this application, but the 3 phase motor may be cheaper. Mine was a slightly bigger drill press, and the bigger 3 phase motor was quite inexpensive. Both will give soft start. The 3 phase will also give a little "overspeed;" whereas, there is nothing faster than 100% for the DC motor.

John

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Other options that might not be practical or even possible:
1) Increase the size of the pulley on the motor shaft
2) Buy a faster motor.