PCB Drilling Solutions

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
Hey Guys,

I bought some PCB specialty drill bits about two weeks ago. I believe they range from 0.5mm to 3mm. Last week, I tried drilling holes in my first board with a Craftsman 3/8 drill. I drilled the first hole perfectly, but the bit broke on the second hole; I'm not entirely sure why it broke (maybe too much pressure? The bit started wobbling for a while), but I think I may need a smaller drill that can accommodate the tiny bits.

What kind of drill do you guys use for hole drilling?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I use a dremel tool and a dremel drill press stand. I have only broken one bit, and that was because I hit with the board + backing board as I removed it.

Bob

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hey Guys,

I bought some PCB specialty drill bits about two weeks ago. I believe they range from 0.5mm to 3mm. Last week, I tried drilling holes in my first board with a Craftsman 3/8 drill. I drilled the first hole perfectly, but the bit broke on the second hole; I'm not entirely sure why it broke (maybe too much pressure? The bit started wobbling for a while), but I think I may need a smaller drill that can accommodate the tiny bits.

What kind of drill do you guys use for hole drilling?
You're going to have a very hard time controlling the 3/8" drill unless it's installed on a bench... but Max is right, you need around 10,000 RPMs for those bits to behave properly (think tangential speed of cut at the drill's outer diameter)... a Dremel is definitely in order for this application... also, I hope your bits are carbide and not hss...

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
I guess it didn't help that I drilled the holes manually (with no drill press). I probably went at it with an angle.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
These are aimed at HS spindle, ~12k - 20krpm.
A dremel might do it.
Max.
I have an advantage: A 1938 Walker-Turner drill press that I redesigned. Cast iron like, you don't try to move it, you bolt it to a bench, and the bearings were all changed to 21st century with adapters I designed and installed. :cool:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I have an advantage: A 1938 Walker-Turner drill press that I redesigned. Cast iron like, you don't try to move it, you bolt it to a bench, and the bearings were all changed to 21st century with adapters I designed and installed. :cool:
Show-off ... :rolleyes:

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
Do I need some sort of special chuck for the tiny bits I have? To be honest, I've never used a dremel before.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Do I need some sort of special chuck for the tiny bits I have? To be honest, I've never used a dremel before.
The dremel already comes with a miniature chuck that can hold bits from 1/64" up to 1/8" in diameter... Also, I believe Craftsman and other brands have Dremel-clones in their catalog that are quite acceptable too...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Dremel use a collet type chuck. You can buy various sized collets for most dremels (1/8, 3/32 and 1/16 are the options - If I remember correctly). Check the diameter of your bits and make sure what ever dremel kit you buy has the right collet. Otherwise they are an additional $5 for each collet

MikeA

Joined Jan 20, 2013
I drilled about 50 holes (0.8mm) just yesterday with a 6 foot tall drill press weighing about 250lb with a 1/2" chuck. No problems whatsoever. :D

You can pick up a small drill press from Harbor Freight for half what a Dremel costs. Would work much better than any handheld solution.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I drilled about 50 holes (0.8mm) just yesterday with a 6 foot tall drill press weighing about 250lb with a 1/2" chuck. No problems whatsoever. :D
Same here. My 1/2" drill press chuck will go down so far, I can't remember without going to the shed and hoping I can find the box and read the label. What matters is that you can't see any wobble in a 0.031 inch drill bit...without using a pin vise! :eek:

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
I'm on Ebay and most of the collets that I need ship from Hong Kong, Thailand, or somewhere else in the East; maybe I'm not searching for the right thing here. I'm searching "0.5 mm dremel collet".