PCB Drilling Solutions

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was going to answer, then I realized that, "Stop by a local machine shop." is not a good answer for most people.

I bought some 0.02" to 0.05" in steps of 0.01"
probably HSS
but then, I only do repairs.
Clean out a hole or enlarge a hole with a pin vise.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I was going to answer, then I realized that, "Stop by a local machine shop." is not a good answer for most people.
lool
I have a local machine shop supply house that sells bits for cheap cause they buy out machine equipment and tools from closing company's..

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I'm near sighted... -3.75 on the left eye, and -3.00 on my right eye... I'm 50 and there was a time in my 30's when going for lasik was a huge temptation... I'm so glad I never caved in to vanity... of course I still have to wear glasses, but when I take them off is like having a natural magnifier that lets me see things things in perfect detail, even every single pin of SMT chips and all...

I have the same "advantage". I am 55 and my near vision is fantastic without glasses.

Last edited:

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
Harbor Freight has benchtop drill presses on sale all the time for $39. And they always have 20% off coupons. You can get a complete drilling solution for under $35, that is solid and can be used for drilling other things. A Dremel is not a drilling tool. It's a miniature high RPM cutting, grinding and polishing tool. Dremel bearings don't last long at high RPMs. A drill press you can run for hundreds of hours at lower RPMs. Brass/aluminium collets wear out quickly also.
Were you thinking about something along these lines? (http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-bench-mount-drill-press-5-speed-60238.html)

We have a local Harbor Freight here. Are the prices in-store the same as online? Do I have to start buying stuff before I get coupons?

[EDIT] Also, will the included chuck work with my bits? (0.5 mm-3mm)

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Were you thinking about something along these lines? (http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-bench-mount-drill-press-5-speed-60238.html)

We have a local Harbor Freight here. Are the prices in-store the same as online? Do I have to start buying stuff before I get coupons?

[EDIT] Also, will the included chuck work with my bits? (0.5 mm-3mm)
My local Horror Fright has sales flyers near the entrance that usually contain the coupons. And most magazines have a HF add that will have the 20% coupon in it. You can also print coupons from the website. They also sell sets of carbide PCB drill bits in the store.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
My local Horror Fright has sales flyers near the entrance that usually contain the coupons. And most magazines have a HF add that will have the 20% coupon in it. You can also print coupons from the website. They also sell sets of carbide PCB drill bits in the store.
I saw them before but was not sure of the quality or how long they will last...I would rather get a huge set of resharps for alittle more.. Has anyone used them or have any experience??

Thanks
Jay Sr

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I saw them before but was not sure of the quality or how long they will last...I would rather get a huge set of resharps for alittle more.. Has anyone used them or have any experience??

Thanks
Jay Sr
Thats what the ones in the local store are, resharpened ones.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Several years ago, I bought a whole lot of resharpened carbide bits of the same size very cheap. It is no exaggeration to say it is a lifetime supply. They center properly*, and the only time I break one is when I move the board before the drill is done. I would have no concerns over buying resharpened bits at the right price.

John

*A drill follows its tip. If a resharpened drill is not properly sharpened, it will not drill straight.

Evil Lurker

Joined Aug 25, 2011
FYI those cheap harbor freight bench drill presses typically have far too much run out and play in the quill to use carbide bits without risk of breaking them plus they can't clamp on the tiny HSS drill bits without a pin vise.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
FYI about dremels. I have been looking for a new rotary tool off & on for a months now, done lots of review reviewing.. As of December, there were lots of bad reviews on Amazon for the Dremel 3000 & 4000; now they're all over 4 stars... fishy. Anyway, the black & Decker RTX sells for half the price (or less) and has better reviews.
this:
Although using a collet is always a better practice, I have never had a problem using the miniature chuck for holes down to 1/32" in diameter.
it fits dremels, B&D, and just about everything else. The dremel flex shaft also fits the B&D amd just about everything else.

I get my bits from precisebits.com

I never tried drilling PCBs with the dremel, but I will after reading this thread. I totally get where cmartinez is coming from about the copper pad helping position the bit while free-handing. I did my drilling on the drill press, and I always ended up locking my quill and feeding the PCB up into the bit by hand. using two hands, this method would get me through at least a couple of boards before breaking a bit, but still way too much breakage. If I didn't do it this way (let the bit center itself by freehand) and fed the quill down into the PCB then my holes would all be off-center. If you use Eagle, there's a script you can run that will make the drill centers smaller and round; that way your bit centers better, and if using the toner transfer method, you can leave the toner on until after drilling, and the toner buildup helps in addition to the copper.