Center tap microwave transformer.

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
Electrolysis, so I need a minimum of 3 amps and 5-7 volts dc. My secondary provides 14 Vac and the center tap provides 7vac.
I suppose a DC power supply with a full wave rectifier, but without filter capacitors, should be adequate for general plating applications. If such a supply with a fixed 6VDC output is acceptable to you, then all you need is the transformer and rectifier.

Should the 7V winding with the bridge rectifier not deliver full 3A at 6V, you could use the 14V winding with centre tap and only half your bridge rectifier to get double the current at 6.6VDC.

123.png

Last edited:

Hutch2793

Joined Jul 7, 2020
I suppose a DC power supply with a full wave rectifier, but without filter capacitors, should be adequate for general plating applications. If such a supply with a fixed 6VDC output is acceptable to you, then all you need is the transformer and rectifier.

Should the 7V winding with the bridge rectifier not deliver full 3A at 6V, you could use the 14V winding with centre tap and only half your bridge rectifier to get double the current at 6.6VDC.

View attachment 213016
I got a 22000 uf cap rated for 35v. Where does the center tap connect on the schematic? Is that to my cathode?

Hutch2793

Joined Jul 7, 2020
That was before I new what the application was. We still don't know what you're using electrolysis for.
I don’t tell people because it de-rails the thread. Everyone thinks what they have read trumps my experience in the subject then they stop helping all together. It would be nice to filter the current because the materials will last longer.

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
I got a 22000 uf cap rated for 35v. Where does the center tap connect on the schematic? Is that to my cathode?
Should you use the capacitor, your voltage will go up to 8.5V from 6V or 9.3V from 6.6V.

Yes, the centre tap connects to the cathode.
I don’t understand how to use half of the rectifier the center tap is ac current.
You just need to follow the schematic given.

Last edited:

Hutch2793

Joined Jul 7, 2020
Should you use the capacitor, your voltage will go up to 8.5V from 6V or 9.3V from 6.6V.

Yes, the centre tap connects to the cathode.

You just need to follow the schematic given.
Ok so how could I use the cap and keep it 6-7, take turns off?

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
In that case you should use this regulator circuit.

untitled5.JPG

You'll need a heat sink for the LM350.

Last edited:

Hutch2793

Joined Jul 7, 2020
I’m working on getting my associates right now. I have to work full time, so it feels like it is never gonna happen.
I’m trying to get an engineering degree. I should have mentioned that. Electrical engineering, but I didn’t do so hot in high school, for lack of maturity and foresight.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Do you like your scope?
Received it yesterday. It's quite good for a $20 toy; couldn't build one from scratch for that price. The display readouts occupy too much of the screen, but, thankfully, you can turn it off.

I bought the kit that was completely soldered and came with a case. The case didn't come with any instructions, so it took me a few tries to get it assembled. I wish it had an option to be powered by 5V from a USB adapter. Maybe I'll hack it to add that.

Hutch2793

Joined Jul 7, 2020
I need to buy one. I’m not experienced enough to figure this out without seeing actual output data. I think amazon has the same one your talking about. I was nervous to order it though.