Car Parking + Brake on the same light

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

What country are you in? In the US, light color and brightness are regulated by the Department of Transportation.

Zechsan

Joined Jul 30, 2022
Welcome to AAC!

What country are you in? In the US, light color and brightness are regulated by the Department of Transportation.
Hi, I am in Australia.
I am adding additional lights to my rear bumper (I still have the car factory lights) so I’m not worried about legislation details, I just need to be able to get parking and brake light working on the same light (just as it was a double filament bulb).
Thank you!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I am adding additional lights to my rear bumper (I still have the car factory lights)
That's what I assumed. Auxiliary lighting can still cause problems if the colors and intensity don't conform with local regulations.

Can you confirm that this is not regulated in your area?

Zechsan

Joined Jul 30, 2022
That's what I assumed. Auxiliary lighting can still cause problems if the colors and intensity don't conform with local regulations.

Can you confirm that this is not regulated in your area?
Yes I confirm it is not detailed regulated in my area. Can you possibly help me figure out what can I use to achieve this? Thanks

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Yes I confirm it is not detailed regulated in my area.
I am dubious of your claim, but I'll take your word for it.
Can you possibly help me figure out what can I use to achieve this?
So this auxiliary light has 2 colors and 3 wires?

You could insert a power zener diode on the parking break circuit and have the brake light circuit bypass the diode.

Zechsan

Joined Jul 30, 2022
I am dubious of your claim, but I'll take your word for it.
So this auxiliary light has 2 colors and 3 wires?

You could insert a power zener diode on the parking break circuit and have the brake light circuit bypass the diode.
The light I am using is a proper vehicle-approved lights and the parking LED would need to be feed 8v to get the luminosity required by law.

Yes, the light have two colours and three wires (orange leds, red leds and ground). Would you be able to explain a bit more how I would wire this zener diode? Thanks

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
In other words, it is illegal to modify the legally required vehicle lighting unless it meets Department of Transportation (or your local governing body) laws regulating vehicle lighting and may require inspection and certification. Aiding in doing so in violation of the regulations is against our forum rules. Doesn't matter if you are using DOT-approved parts if the installation is illegal. And, Yes, they sell a LOT of illegal accessories in auto parts stores...

And Welcome to AAC!

Last edited:

Zechsan

Joined Jul 30, 2022
In other words, it is illegal to modify the required vehicle lighting unless it meets Department of Transportation (or your local governing body) laws regulating vehicle lighting and may require inspection and certification. Aiding in doing so in violation of the regulations is against our forum rules.
the vehicle will be inspected by the local departament of transit before its use as we are doing several modifications (including mechanical itens that will also need to be engineered).

Zechsan

Joined Jul 30, 2022
In other words, it is illegal to modify the legally required vehicle lighting unless it meets Department of Transportation (or your local governing body) laws regulating vehicle lighting and may require inspection and certification. Aiding in doing so in violation of the regulations is against our forum rules. Doesn't matter if you are using DOT-approved parts if the installation is illegal. And, Yes, they sell a LOT of illegal accessories in auto parts stores...

And Welcome to AAC!
it will be properly validated by our local DOT - while I appreciate your concern I also understand what my local DOT certifiers check in order to get the vehicle compliance so that part is covered. Now back to why I joined the forum, are you able to help me figure out a way to connected these lights? Thank you so much.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The light I am using is a proper vehicle-approved lights and the parking LED would need to be feed 8v to get the luminosity required by law.
[snip]
Would you be able to explain a bit more how I would wire this zener diode?
I think you'd be better off consulting with someone familiar with your regulations. I don't think you can, or should, install DOT approved lights in non-standard places/applications.

Zechsan

Joined Jul 30, 2022
I think you'd be better off consulting with someone familiar with your regulations. I don't think you can, or should, install DOT approved lights in non-standard places/applications.
the aftermarket bumper I purchased it approved to be used in my region and it has three specific places to install a reverse, a turning and a brake/parking light, however these came with incandescent bulbs and now I am replacing to LEDs that’s all.

again, I am the one checking with theregulatory bodies here in Australia and responsible for the vehicle. Are you able to help me with the solution for this? Thank you

Zechsan

Joined Jul 30, 2022
Do you have any specs of the current draw of the lights? Is there just one light on each side to be added?
No mate, I suspect it isn’t much as it’s just 24 leds on each light.

yes, basically I need to have brakes and parking lights on a single light (as if it were a double bulb).

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
the aftermarket bumper I purchased it approved to be used in my region and it has three specific places to install a reverse, a turning and a brake/parking light, however these came with incandescent bulbs and now I am replacing to LEDs that’s all.
Don't they sell in Australia aftermarket LED lamps to replace your incandescent bulbs? They should be a One-to-One swap. And aftermarket LED lamps are engineered to do exactly what you're looking for. Here in the US my truck uses an 7443 bulb. I can buy an aftermarket LED lamp to be an exact fit and replacement for the 7443. No need to do any special wiring. Just connecting your new lamps to the current automotive wiring harness and you should be good to go.

I bring large pieces of lumber home. They extend beyond the back bumper by more than 3 feet. In that case the end of the lumber must have a red flag tied, bungeed or stapled to the end of the lumber. OR if I have such a device (and I do) I can strap on a set of lights facing to the rear and plug them into my trailer lights plug on the bumper. Just so happens that the lamps I'm using is LED. And there was no special electronics to be added.

I may be wrong, but if I understand you - you should be able to just replace the bulbs with LED's. No?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Below is one way to combine them:
The diode and resistor values are determined by how much current the LEDs take.

1659202555480.png

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
parking LED would need to be feed 8v to get the luminosity required by law.
At this point we need all the information you have. Available voltage and product specs. along with what you are trying to accomplish with as much detail as possible. You mention 24 LEDs for each light so what are the specs for the LEDs? You obviously cannot power all in series so we need a Maximum current draw LED spec. to work with.