Can you solder wire rope?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Bite the lead-free bullet and buy the clips that were designed for the job. You'll have 70 installed in a snap instead of dicking around all weekend trying to manufacture each connection in some half-backed solution.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That's pretty much how I'm leaning. They're stainless, look nice, are easily moved, quick to install. Tough to beat. It's just that my cheap, DIY trellis is now an architectural piece.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
What kind of solder did you use?
The solder was just 50/50 lead plumbing solder.

The copper wire idea isn't a good one if this is for flowers or other plants/vines. Copper will kill vegetation. Not right at first/instantly but as it oxidizes and weathers. They use copper salts to kill weeds and algae in lakes and in many weed killers.

Have you considered using "safety wire" and safety wire pliers to tighten it? a few wraps in each direction around the cross then a twist with the pliers to tighten. Most safety wire is stainless, the twist can be done without the spacial pliers but they are cheap on Ebay and work faster than regular pliers for this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_wire

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
You could split the wire and feed the wire through the middle ??
I have seen cargo nets (used to lift cargo) built like that. They looked awful and there is always one wire cut ready to hurt your hands.

You could use these. $3 for a pair at HF. Probably even cheaper on eBay. Depending on what you are using the wire rope for, heating will damage the temper.

View attachment 103564
I would not use those either. Their actual use is to compress two wires naturally parallel to each other.

Even if you accept that kludge, their size vis-a-vis the wire'ss diameter is out of proportion.

Provided you have time I would investigate through people who produce the wheel nets used to lift vehicles with them passing under the wheels. Vessels from Intermarine USA, had them on board as part of their lifting material. Thin wires, properly knotted IIRC. Made in USA. Soft, they were strong and simple to handle. They looked NICE... and Ch. Officer kept an eye on them after all vehicles were discharged.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I would not use those either. Their actual use is to compress two wires naturally parallel to each other.

Even if you accept that kludge, their size vis-a-vis the wire'ss diameter is out of proportion.
Yes, these are built for two parallel wires, but he's building a garden trellis - not handling nuclear weapons. And other sizes are available.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Yes, these are built for two parallel wires, but he's building a garden trellis - not handling nuclear weapons. And other sizes are available.
Been using them for many years. Size of the clip is proportional to the wires diameter. If you insist, be my guest.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
@wayneh, what size wire cable is this going to be? Would it matter if the openings would be on the diagonal? I have an idea for doing this if diagonal/diamond shape will work, can give a sketch if it is.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's 1/8" wire rope at 90 degree intersections. That's the current design, though it could be changed. I have to keep the verticals but I could slant the horizontals.

One commercial solution to make a wire net uses parallel crimp connectors. The cables are pinched together and pass thru an aluminum crimp.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Another possibility, which might be cheap, simple, and look nice, is to use washers. Although they can slide, the overall net layout would make it pretty hard for them to do so very far. Another possibility would be to start with the steel ropes hanging vertically from a horizontal top wire and then gather them in pairs and use a washer or even a crimp splice and then gather opposite pairs below that. I'm sure I'm not explaining it well, so I'll try to throw a sketch together in a bit.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Here's what I described above. Perhaps this is what you mean?
Stainless_Steel_Wire_Rope_Net.jpg

This is what my original plan envisioned. It's perfect, in my opinion, except for the price. I've seen those clips sell for over $11 each and rarely less than $5.
cross-clamp-90-trellis.jpg

I just found this image. Note the clips. I wonder where they got those! Begins searching....

4000-100_l_t_w800_h600.jpg

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes, the top one is exactly what I had in mind.

The bottom one is what I was referring to first -- imagine each clip being nothing more than a tight fitting washer. Core memory was what I had in mind when I envisioned it.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The top one is what I was going to suggest too. Making the sleeves from lengths of tubing and setting/closing them with a screwdriver or dull cold chisel. But when you said a square "net", that's why a sketch wasn't posted.

How many intersections are you thinking of? A similar thing to your desired connector could be made using bolts and nuts, Cut two slots at 90 degrees for the wire and a nut to secure. Buy without a metal cutting bandsaw making them would be a pain.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That would work - but if the TS needs to preserve tensile strength, a braze may ruin the temper of the steel.
It sounds like this is a trellis either to keep things out of a garden or to given climbing plants something to climb. I don't think preserving tensile strength is an issue on this one.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Right, I don't want ugliness like large heat-stained areas but I could lose 90% of the rated cable strength and it would still be overkill. I wanted to use 1/16" cable - which would be plenty strong - but there are less fitting options and it's actually not much cheaper.

One of the ideas I'm looking at is UV resistant cable zip ties. Two small ties crossed over each intersection could be pretty good.

BTW, the company that makes the net in the bottom photo will not sell the clips in the photo or tell me anything about where I might get them. They only want to sell me something.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Did some Googleing on those connectors. Called "wire rope cross clamps" or "micro cross clamps". And like most things today the companies selling them don't really make them. They are made in China. You can buy directly from the manufacturer, on Alibaba.com. Minimum of 100pcs though. http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...489573114.html?spm=a2700.7724857.29.79.MkNM1c

Another style is here @ $3.00. http://www.feeneyinc.com/Micro-Cross-Clamps

You are aware of the diameter of those clamps, right? Around 5/8". The trellis's are also known as "greenwalls".

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Wayneh, that's a fantastic idea for climbing plants. I used pieces of galvanized fencing but your proposed idea is much better and neater.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Right, I don't want ugliness like large heat-stained areas but I could lose 90% of the rated cable strength and it would still be overkill. I wanted to use 1/16" cable - which would be plenty strong - but there are less fitting options and it's actually not much cheaper.

One of the ideas I'm looking at is UV resistant cable zip ties. Two small ties crossed over each intersection could be pretty good.

BTW, the company that makes the net in the bottom photo will not sell the clips in the photo or tell me anything about where I might get them. They only want to sell me something.
How much does "prettiness" really even matter if the whole idea is to get plants to climb it? If my experience with grape vines is any indication, it will quickly become impossible to easily tell that you are even using wire rope, let alone how the crosspoint connections are made or whether the there are heat stains.