Can you recommend a Diode for using power supply in series?

eddie500

Joined Nov 5, 2011
I am going to put 4 of these Meanwell RS-100-48 in series, 45 volts each power supply for 180 volts 2 amp max.
http://meanwellusa.com/productPdf.aspx?i=410#1

I heard it is recommended to use diodes between the outputs of each power supply as shown in the picture below. Maybe Meanwell has them built in already?

Can someone recommend what diode I should use for each 45 volt power supply, maybe a link to a workable diode to give an example.

Can I use the same diode for reverse protection on the 180 volt + output?

Thank you

Picture below is shown with 2 power supplies, but I will use 4.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Don't know if this will work the way you expect. In particular, if the supply ground is not isolated from either Earth Ground or the transformer CT, then you are going to have a problem. As near as I can tell the diodes won't do much for you in that configuration.

eddie500

Joined Nov 5, 2011
Don't know if this will work the way you expect. In particular, if the supply ground is not isolated from either Earth Ground or the transformer CT, then you are going to have a problem. As near as I can tell the diodes won't do much for you in that configuration.
I believe I am OK here because these were used by other people in their projects, but never described what diode they used. Meanwell power supplies have lots of protections built in.

The diodes are used between the power supply outputs in case one power supply starts up before the others. It offers some kind of protection.

There will also be a diode on the + output to protect from reverse voltage.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I believe I am OK here because these were used by other people in their projects, but never described what diode they used. Meanwell power supplies have lots of protections built in.

The diodes are used between the power supply outputs in case one power supply starts up before the others. It offers some kind of protection.

There will also be a diode on the + output to protect from reverse voltage.
Without seeing a schematic it would be hard to know. I'm glad you're ready to bet your life on the answer. I'll nominate you for a Darwin award if you're wrong.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The diodes are there only for protection.

Are you in the habit of always checking polarity before making a connection?
Are your connectors polarized to prevent incorrect connection?

If you can answer "yes" to both questions then you can skip the diodes.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Use one big fat diode in reverse across each supply, rated for the peak supply current and the total series-connected supply voltage.
Forget the diode in series with the load.

As long as the supplies are floating, you should have no problems, except for a really wonky start up transient.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
If you use a bridge rectifier package, that is a good way to get big diodes and easy to mount as the often have mounting holes built in.

Bridge3.jpg
Bridge2.jpg

This will give you "2" diode in series so in the first circuit you show, connect power supply #2 -ve to the bridge -,
power supply #2 +ve and Power supply #1 -ve to both ~ terminals connected together, and power supply 31 +ve to the bridge +.
And don't worry about the diode to the load. Do similar for the next 2 supplies added in series with the first 2 supplies.
But I'd be a bit careful of "over volting" a supply, particularly on overload conditions, where an output may try to turn off but exceed the voltage rating.

Last edited: