Can we please use punctuation and capital letters on sentences?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I don't know is it is the texting habits or what, but it seems like we are seeing more and more posts with no capital letters at the start of sentences and even worse no punctuation at the end of sentences.

I understand we have people from all over the world posting on this forum so poor grammar and spelling are to be expected but I would think a number of languages have capital letters and at least some kind of punctuation in common.

Lack of capital letters makes a sentence difficult to read. Add no punctuation and it makes reading several sentences brutal. If you then add long run on paragraphs it makes the task near impossible.

Can we please add something about using capitalization and punctuation to the guidelines? Maybe have something on how to break up a large post into several smaller paragraphs too.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Long time ago I decided to stop reading posts consisting of a long sequence of sentences, all in one paragraph.

Texting? No, thanks, either.

Have better things to do with my time.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I quickly read the notification email from your response and saw no punctuation or capitalization. At first I thought you were teasing me. Then I noticed it is the standard message that comes with each notification. It does not use capitalization or punctuation! I just noticed that. :)

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I also find it hard to read the texts of people who can not find the ENTER key.
With those ALL is written in one long line.

Bertus

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
English is not my first language, but...

There are rules on how to write properly, let's make an effort to follow them.

Capital letters and correct punctuation should be minimum.

When a post is too much sms-language, I don't read it. That's sad because I could provide some knowledge or I could learn something...:)

Blackbull

Joined Jul 26, 2008
My English is pretty poor, I need good examples; spelling, grammar and punctuation on the net are appalling. It amazes me that we have to rely on people like Jens and Agustin from non-English speaking countries to get it right, although I will concede that there is at least one guy from the US whose English is impeccable.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Franky I really don't care much about non English speakers using poor grammar or spelling. Actually I am amazed how good it is from some of our forum members where English is not their first language. Like nerdguru and a few others, their English is amazing.

A subject like electronics is already complicated enough. I can't imagine trying to function in it with a language that is not my first language. Heck I can barely function in it now. :)

What is annoying is first language English speakers that make no attempt to use proper spelling like the use of prolly instead of probably.

And then they are those people who use words like lorry for truck and torch instead of flashlight. They should really learn to speak English. :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
And then they are those people who use words like lorry for truck and torch instead of flashlight. They should really learn to speak English. :)
Wot! You have a problem with the Queen's English? She is going to be quite cross with you you know.

theHOFIT

Joined Dec 16, 2009
I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments expressed in the original post.

But I would add "spelling" as well.

However, when I have brought up (complained about) this issue many times on other tech forums, I have generally been shot down amidst howls of BS like:-

"It doesn’t matter just as long as the message is being communicated!"

I disagree. What it indicates to me is that folk (who are, by and large, purporting to be engineering types) just can’t be arsed. How many times am I supposed to re-read a post trying to figure out what the lazy [censored] is trying to get across?

Those of you tuning in from outside the UK may not be aware that everything here has now been "dumbed down" to the extent that "anything goes", and old guys (such as myself) who were brought up to appreciate real standards are ridiculed as "yesterday’s men", dinosaurs ... and all the rest.

Yeah, the Young Ones are in charge of the world now ... and what a Pig’s Ear there are making (have made) of it! :(

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
What annoys me is people who sign up, and then post something full of spelling errors, often it is trivial, and often it is difficult to give a good answer, if any.

Sometimes I wonder if these individuals write any program code, or if they read any technical documention. Or if they ever have used a search engine.

theHOFIT

Joined Dec 16, 2009
I was also wondering if I should mention program code. But, having seen quite a lot of poorly constructed code myself, I guess I already knew the answer. :(

The thing about code, of course, is that it's rarely seen "by others" ... but I'll bet I'm not the only one who often sighs when calling up old code (yes, even my own, sometimes) in order to maintain, edit, debug, correct, "de-code" it, or otherwise dig into it. It usually takes at least two cups of tea before I summon the strength to wade through it!

Again, other folk I have mentioned this to come back with stuff like:- "It doesn't matter"!

They're wrong, of course. :)

Technical documentation:- another element these days is the fact that so much of it is translated (often poorly) from a foreign language. Still, it often gives us something to laugh about, does it not? Although I for one would prefer that it was useful (accurate, believable even), rather than amusing.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Sometimes I wonder if these individuals write any program code, or if they read any technical documention. Or if they ever have used a search engine.
Well, Google is not only forgiving with your "mistakes" but helpful. Even if you type anything wrong on purpose, Google is giving you chances to get your search right at the first try.

And do not forget, spelling checkers / correctors as in Word; people knows they are there so they can type "more or less" and then get it right again.

I am good in Spanish but in English, honestly, that is a real help to me (I write, 99,99% of my reports in English).

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually I use Google a lot for spell checking. Not only do you get the spelling, but a proper definition most cases.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Their lists are far from complete, especially for technical terms. So far, assuming you are online, Google wins hands down.