Can Using 12V2A Adapter Instead of 12V1A Adapter Harm Equipment

Yaşar Arabacı

Joined Nov 11, 2014
Hi,

Recently I moved to a new apartment. Today, people from internet company visited my apartment for internet instalation. Since I lost my modem's original adapter (which was 12V1A) I used my spare adapter (12V2A) to power my modem. Person who did the installation told me to get a 12V1A adapter because my 12V2A adapter might burn the modem. I think he is mistaken, but I want to verify.

According to my understanding, amper ratings on adapters indicates how much current an adapter can provide before overheating becomes a problem. Since modem draw 1A under 12V, neither modem nor adapter should have a problem. Am I right?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi YA,
A 12Vdc 2Amp regulated power supply will not cause a problem, the Modem will only draw the current it requires to operate.
E

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Person who did the installation told me to get a 12V1A adapter because my 12V2A adapter might burn the modem. I think he is mistaken, but I want to verify.
Yes, he is mistaken.

According to my understanding, amper ratings on adapters indicates how much current an adapter can provide before overheating becomes a problem. Since modem draw 1A under 12V, neither modem nor adapter should have a problem. Am I right?
Yes, that's correct.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Recently had a doctor tell me to use the charger that came with my hearingaids. Said using a stronger one will melt the unit. I know that to be untrue. Same 5V charger. As long as the voltage is correct and the supply is sufficient there will be no problem.

Your car has a battery capable of producing hundreds of amps, yet your car radio that probably uses two amps doesn't burn up. So, as you know, and has been confirmed, using the bigger supply will not harm anything. Not unless you dead short it. Then you have a 2A short. Which will probably hurt the supply.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The only place I can think of where using a higher available amperage charger is when charging batteries. Some batteries like Li-Po's or Li-Ion require strict control of how the batteries are charged. Putting a stronger charger on them might exceed the ability of the charger to control the charge current going into the battery(ies) under such circumstances. But a router that doesn't have batteries to charge will be fine using a bigger supply (amperage wise).

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Person who did the installation told me to get a 12V1A adapter because my 12V2A adapter might burn the modem. I think he is mistaken, but I want to verify.
You would be correct in that regardless of supply capability exceeding the load the load will only draw what it requires.

Ron

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Short answer, voltage-yes, amperage-no. Never supply a higher voltage. The device will only draw the current it needs to operate.