Can this voltage metre test 1.5v batteries?

Helplessnewbie

Joined Dec 28, 2015
Hi! I inherited this voltage metre from my uncle, who had it for years. The problem is, I don't know how to use it. All the Youtube videos refer to more recent metres. I would like to test 1.5v batteries but don't know how to set it or even know if it can work. Can anyone help?

voltagemetre.jpg

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
When you read the voltage, you will look at the three black scales under DCV. The bottom one is 0 - 6 VDC. Each increment is 0.2 VDC. Make sure the batteries in the meter are good. Chances are that they are not if they have been sitting around for quite some time.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It can be that your vintage meter uses the + as common.
The newer meters all use the - as common.

Bertus

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Also note that if by "test" you mean give a pass/fail indication, most meters don't do this. No load voltage isn't a good indicator of remaining capacity.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Wow that is one beautiful antique! One think everyone missed. You should have a load when testing batteries. A dead battery could read the battery level with no load. You really would be better off with a cheap battery tester.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Wow that is one beautiful antique! One think everyone missed. You should have a load when testing batteries. A dead battery could read the battery level with no load. You really would be better off with a cheap battery tester.
A load for the battery can be a simple 100 ohms resistor. Put that across the two terminals and measure voltage. Measure voltage without the resistor and then determine if the voltage under load is much different that without the load. If the voltage changes by more than 15% or so, it is dead. That is for typical AA batteries. If you are testing little button cell batteries for watches or hearing aids, use a 4700 or 10k resistor. Test on a new battery to get the feeling of how it should respond.

Also, your meter is not going to show a big difference since you have a 6-volt scale. You might want to buy a nice digital meter - available for $5 and up. The seemingly crappy $5 (sometimes free with coupon) meter from harbor freight will be better than the one you have.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
A load for the battery can be a simple 100 ohms resistor. Put that across the two terminals and measure voltage. Measure voltage without the resistor and then determine if the voltage under load is much different that without the load. If the voltage changes by more than 15% or so, it is dead. That is for typical AA batteries. If you are testing little button cell batteries for watches or hearing aids, use a 4700 or 10k resistor.
Yep but a battery tester is a lot easier. :)

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Looking at the left lower corner it says 2000Ω/V.
This means that the 6 Volts range has a resistance of 6 X 2000Ω = 12kΩ.
The 30 Volts range : 30 X 2000Ω = 60kΩ.
The 150 Volts range : 150 X 2000Ω = 300kΩ.
And the 600 Volts range : 600 X 2000 = 1200kΩ.

Most Digital Multimeters nowerdays will have an input resistance of 20 MΩ, for comparison.

Bertus

Helplessnewbie

Joined Dec 28, 2015
Yes, I got a cheap batter tester for Christmas. That's when Mom showed me this old meter that my uncle used to have and she was wondering if I wanted it. It's still in terrific shape and comes in its own leather case!!

Helplessnewbie

Joined Dec 28, 2015
A load for the battery can be a simple 100 ohms resistor. Put that across the two terminals and measure voltage. Measure voltage without the resistor and then determine if the voltage under load is much different that without the load. If the voltage changes by more than 15% or so, it is dead. That is for typical AA batteries. If you are testing little button cell batteries for watches or hearing aids, use a 4700 or 10k resistor. Test on a new battery to get the feeling of how it should respond.

Also, your meter is not going to show a big difference since you have a 6-volt scale. You might want to buy a nice digital meter - available for $5 and up. The seemingly crappy $5 (sometimes free with coupon) meter from harbor freight will be better than the one you have.
Thanks for your response!!