Can someone help me identify this electronic component

jayad

Joined Apr 23, 2022
Hello there
Newbie here. Found this component while cleaning the garage, battery still attached to it. Trying to find out what it is and if I can safely discard.

I first thought maybe a broken keyfob, but keyfobs generally do not have a battery soldered to it.

Thanks to all in advance for helping me.

1650754388765.png
1650754411780.png

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Definitely unknown. It has a crystal oscillator (lower left in second picture), so that suggests either a CPU under the battery, or some clocked device like a frequency generator. The bottom of the board, near T9, is a circle that resembles a push button pad of some sort, or an output connection to a LED or something. Any button or LED would have been on the external case, which is missing.
You can discard it but if concerned about the battery, you can usually clip it off with wire cutters and dispose of it at some battery recycling facility.

jayad

Joined Apr 23, 2022
Hey Sagor

I had purchased a cheapo led strip light from Walmart just for fun and it did not last long. Is it possible that it is the controller attached to the strip? I think the remote had a removable battery but I am not 100% as I threw it away.
Model #MLB7-1027-BLK

1650848956771.png

Definitely unknown. It has a crystal oscillator (lower left in second picture), so that suggests either a CPU under the battery, or some clocked device like a frequency generator. The bottom of the board, near T9, is a circle that resembles a push button pad of some sort, or an output connection to a LED or something. Any button or LED would have been on the external case, which is missing.
You can discard it but if concerned about the battery, you can usually clip it off with wire cutters and dispose of it at some battery recycling facility.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Hey Sagor

I had purchased a cheapo led strip light from Walmart just for fun and it did not last long. Is it possible that it is the controller attached to the strip? I think the remote had a removable battery but I am not 100% as I threw it away.
Model #MLB7-1027-BLK

View attachment 265769
It might be, but cannot tell. There is a white connector along the edge of your board. If that is a multi-pin connector that matches the LED strip controller, then that may be a correct assumption. However, that board cannot power the LED strip itself, the button cell does not have enough power. It may have connected to an actual controller, which would be a powered device (or have large battery)

jayad

Joined Apr 23, 2022
Hey guys
I am so curious now that I might just go to walmart and buy one of these strips for $4.50 and open it :)
Sagor, the end of the strip lights goes into a usb which can be inserted into a charger. Is it possible that the usb powers the led lights and the small battery just powers the magic programming like a computer CMOS battery?
Or maybe the USB is charging the button battery like Yaakov mentioned.

1651007531877.png1651007627411.png

It might be, but cannot tell. There is a white connector along the edge of your board. If that is a multi-pin connector that matches the LED strip controller, then that may be a correct assumption. However, that board cannot power the LED strip itself, the button cell does not have enough power. It may have connected to an actual controller, which would be a powered device (or have large battery)
That cell could be rechargeable, like an LIR2032. Is there any provision for a connector or an inductive pickup coil?

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Looking at the "Monster" kit in your photo, I doubt the original item in first picture of this post has anything to do with it.
That is, I don't think these items are related.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
The crystal looks like a tuning fork type such as a 32.8kHz and the one time use battery connection narrows it down to low frequency like infrared cheap remote.

jayad

Joined Apr 23, 2022
Sagor, you are correct. Just opened a new cheapo monster kit and no, that is not it. I was thinking it was the cheap remote that came with it, but it comes with a removable CR2028 button cell.

Sparky, what kind of devices typically use such a connection and a cheap remote?

Looking at the "Monster" kit in your photo, I doubt the original item in first picture of this post has anything to do with it.
That is, I don't think these items are related.
The crystal looks like a tuning fork type such as a 32.8kHz and the one time use battery connection narrows it down to low frequency like infrared cheap remote.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
If you remove the battery so we can see what is under it, it might have some more clues.

An IR remote would an obvious IR LED at one end, so I think that is out. I can’t imagine soldering in a battery unless it was rechargeable.
Bob

jayad

Joined Apr 23, 2022
Bump. Anyone? Still trying to identify this thing.

Old gaming console with rechargeable button battery soldered in? Battery probably too weak for that?
The SW-200 - is that a ball/tilt switch? Would that indicate a device that requires to have functionality in different physical positions ie horizontal/vertical?

....BobTPH, I ended up discarding it so I do not have the item any more so can't look under the battery .

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Too bad you discarded it. I just figured out what it was. It was a gimmick used by a car dealership to get people in the showroom. You go in and press the button, and if it opens that brand new Toyota it’s yours!

I started this post as a joke, but I now realize it could actually be correct!

Bob

jayad

Joined Apr 23, 2022
You could be on to something, Bob . I found it right under my car while cleaning my garage. At first I thought it was a GPS tracker installed by my ex-wife (but that is impossible being that she already traded me in for a newer model and is happier and has no reason to track me), so the next possibility is an unscrupulous car salesman sticking it under my car to get me into the showroom. :)
Too bad you discarded it. I just figured out what it was. It was a gimmick used by a car dealership to get people in the showroom. You go in and press the button, and if it opens that brand new Toyota it’s yours!

I started this post as a joke, but I now realize it could actually be correct!

Bob