can i split infrared receiver sensor ?

itaybond

Joined Feb 24, 2019
Hello friends
I have a system for timing the laps of rc cars

On each car there is an Infrared transmitter with a unique code, which at the moment of the transition under the infra sensor

Scheduler laps to laptop

1, it is possible to simply split the sensor so that it will cover a wider range

2, there are more sensitive sensors that I can replace

Thanks

itaybond

Joined Feb 24, 2019
the system tell me how long its take me to make one lap of the racing course .
And Wilder mean . if I put sensor a1 meter bove ground facing down I get like 90 degrees . and I want get more .
Thanks
Itay

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi.
Please post details or datasheet for the IR detector that you are using.
My suggestion was to amplify the RX signal, so that the 90degree beam sense width could be moved further away from the TX, so covering a wider detection distance.

E

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If the sensor is also the trigger, as I suspect it is, the further the sensor is away the less accurate times will be. Imagine 2 adjacent cars. If the sensor is close, the "window" for triggering will be narrow. That is, the uncertainty of position at which the signal is received and triggers a time will be less.

Now, if the trigger is close to the cars, say a magnet/Hall detector in the track, then the computation can be done anywhere.

itaybond

Joined Feb 24, 2019
If the sensor is also the trigger, as I suspect it is, the further the sensor is away the less accurate times will be. Imagine 2 adjacent cars. If the sensor is close, the "window" for triggering will be narrow. That is, the uncertainty of position at which the signal is received and triggers a time will be less.

Now, if the trigger is close to the cars, say a magnet/Hall detector in the track, then the computation can be done anywhere.
hi.
Please post details or datasheet for the IR detector that you are using.
My suggestion was to amplify the RX signal, so that the 90degree beam sense width could be moved further away from the TX, so covering a wider detection distance.

E
Hi thanks for the answer . the only thing I have is the picture on top .

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Aim the RV transmitter forward a little. Aim the RX out a little toward incoming car. Use IR for ID only. Use light curtain for lap time.

itaybond

Joined Feb 24, 2019

Still good for me

HI itaybond (TS)
I'm unsure what you are asking. We're developing a Slot-Car system using Arduino. This can be adapted for open track R/C use with some modification.
Your sensor has (by the sounds of it) a fixed 90 degree coverage, the higher you go = more ground coverage. You surely want to catch each car as it goes over the Start/Finish line???
please explain some more!
Paul

pyroartist

Joined Oct 9, 2015
Itaybond: If you have a second sensor you can put 2 in place of the one and angle them apart to make a wider area that the can "see". Not sure what the output of your sensor is but you may be able to just mix the two outputs together to read anything in the wider swath.
"Scheduler laps to laptop" What does that mean?

"wider range" What does that mean? What range is wider?
I think he meant to say "logs to a laptop".