Can anyone explain to me how this current-voltage converter work?

Discussion in 'Analog & Mixed-Signal Design' started by thanhvu94, Feb 3, 2017.

1. thanhvu94

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Hello everyone,

I'm working on a project with a sensor which has an analog circuit to convert output current signal of photodiode to voltage like attached in the file. I'm not so specialized in analog circuit but I really want to understand how this circuit can convert from current to voltage. Can you explain in detail how does it work (the sub-component linear amplifier and non-inverter amplifier)?

Here is the only information written in the report about this circuit but I can't understand well:
    - The linear amplifier part is an analog low-pass filter with a cutoff frequency equal to 106kHz. Considering the high gain given by the resistance of 150kOhm, the linear amplifier aims at preventing signal from oscillations.

Thank you for your explanation.

P/S I also attach the paper of the sensor.

2. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
  3. thanhvu94

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 1, 2016
  4. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi,
    It amplifies the low level signal output from the Trans/amp, by a factor of 1+ (100k/4k7)= ~ 22 times.
    The non inverting mode means that the output signal from the trans/amp is not inverted

E

thanhvu94 likes this.
  5. AnalogKid

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 1, 2013
    Simply DC gain.

Both amplifiers are linear. The first is a "current-to-voltage" converter, where 1 uA of photodiode current produces an output of 0.15 V. The second is a DC coupled gain stage with a gain of 22.3. These values are based on my guess of the resistor values in the schematic. If there are decimal points in the resistor values, I can't see them.

ak

thanhvu94 likes this.