Calculte amplification and emitter current

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hmm. Never heard of it. You would hope that something that is in 11 ed would be relatively polished -- but I've seen plenty of exceptions.

I'll try to remember to check the university library to see if they have it or can get it.

I see that Amazon has it, but I have to go back to the 7th ed before the price is something I'd be willing to pay for this purpose.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
It seems to be about ac analysis - the circuit is supposed to work in DC.

For a real circuit, one way to make it work is to terminate the Re resistor into a negative voltage.

In that case, the output voltage would be Vb - 0.1v (dc) and in AC terms, Vb. Which leads to a gain of 1.

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
It seems to be about ac analysis - the circuit is supposed to work in DC.

For a real circuit, one way to make it work is to terminate the Re resistor into a negative voltage.

In that case, the output voltage would be Vb - 0.1v (dc) and in AC terms, Vb. Which leads to a gain of 1.
But the problem statement says "Assuming that the emitter voltage follows the base voltage exactly and that VBE RMS (not DC) = 0.1 V"

This would seem to indicate that some of the signal voltage (the RMS voltage) is dropped across the base-emitter junction, leading to a gain of less than 1. It's a very ill posed question.