Bus Voltage queries

quicksilva

Joined Nov 21, 2011
Hi guys!

I couldn't find any accurate and direct meaning/definition for a bus voltage, can you help me out in defining what it is and what it does.

I'm working on some Linksys products and was meaning to see if I can use bus voltage with them.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Bus voltage is the voltage the external I/O lines between a processor and peripheral components signal each other with. Typically 5V or 3.3V.

A bus is 8 to 64 separate wires, as in "16 bit" or "32 bit" computer. It's not something to plug into for voltage. It isn't a DC value that can be measured or applied. The voltage on each line of a bus changes (1's and 0's) at MHz speeds to transfer information. Bus Voltage typically is the level that a "1" is defined by or interpreted as a "True/High/On".

If you are looking to flash a Linksys router with USB to serial converter, that's something you'll need to change on your converter, and would get more help and advice on the Linksys tweaking forums.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
There is another definition of "buss rail" which is just a voltage used to feed circuitry.

A: A buss is a voltage that supply all of the circuits involved into a particular electronics package. It really means the main source of power and it can be AC too. Englishmen call it the poke or rail in the States is BUSS

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
There is another definition of "buss rail" which is just a voltage used to feed circuitry.
True, but he mentioned "Linksys", I have a USB->TTL Serial adapter that has both 5V and 3.3V V+ pins for flashing the linux kernel onto them so they can do more neat stuff, and de-brick the routers that people tried to change the firmware on through wireless or a bad cat5 or locked up computer or....